All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideas for finishing Apple Orchard in Zone 4B

CedarSwamp

5 year old buck +
IMG_4673.JPG

Here is a map of our Apple Orchard which is a single line of trees along a field edge bordering a large marsh. This area has heavy soils and not well drained. There is quite a bit of topsoil and our apple trees that are planted there seem to be doing well. LOOKING FOR IDEAS ON WHAT TO PLANT TO FINISH THE ORCHARD. We are in NE Wisconsin in Zone 4B. Fairly close to Zone 5, but Zone 5 apples trees won't work in our area (learned the hard way).

This is a good area for early now season (Mid September to Eary October) and a good rut stand when the does are hitting these fields so depends on what is planted each year. It's a decent gun stand as we have lanes that go into the marsh.

Looking to have apples on the ground from before bow season and as long into the season as possible. The first few weeks of bow season are the most important.

This area is a mix of 25% field and 75% woods. We have several other orchards on the property, young oak paintings, and various other browse and fruit trees planted. This is the only Orchard that we have on this side of the property so trying to accomplish a lot with it.

Last edited:
Are there any concerns for NW Greening ripening in Zone 4B - one hour North of a Green Bay, WI? I want to plant a couple but want to make sure there aren't concerns about ripening. Our first frost date is generally around Oct 7th - Oct 10th timeframe give or take a week or so.

Thanks!

I have zero advice for that far North but love your map!
Your southern exposure with your fruit trees should help them and may help a little with frosts, mine seem to down here.

As long as it handles your winters, I wouldn't worry about not ripening fully for deer. If you wanted some to eat, it might be a concern. I think the deer would still eat at some point even if not fully ripe.

I have NW Greening in one of my plots. Deer like them but very biannual.

Thanks everyone! I'll likely add one to the orchard. I'm working one gathering info on my top choices to narrow them down and buy higher quantities of the ones that'll be best.

The ones I'm evaluating right now are:

Liberty
Enterprise
Whitney Crab
Dolgo Crab
Chestnut Crab
Kerr Crab
Golden Hornet Crab
NW Greening
Lodi
Zestar
Kindercrisp

Liberty and Enterprise are locks and trees we include in every orchard. We want variety in bloom times, but that isn't hard to accomplish. Want variety in drop times and prefer varieties that hang on into winter. Prefer varieties that are less fire blight susceptible.

Not sure if having a lot of apples hanging on into winter creates any disease concerns or not, but hope not!

I keep dreaming that with the South exposure that deer will spend time laying in the sun shine by the apples in the winter and drop their antlers for me to find!!!!

I would look at what is under your trees, I would spray it down and start with a fresh soil bed, plant clover blend, at least 4 different, one being Loooong term clover, then see if you can get a hive going with bees. they will polinate the trees, and be happy with the clover as well. clover adding free from the air n to the soil.