I need repair advice

Tap

5 year old buck +
Crap. I was backing up my tractor mowing in a tight space and I hooked my bucket on one of my pear trees and tore some of the bark down to the cambium.
I made a temporary repair and I'm wondering if I should do it another way, or ?? It still has a large portion of the cambium intact, but this tree has struggled over the years. It finally came to life and started to produce fruit. I sure hated to damage it.
I'll post some pics in a few minutes...

Here's some pics

Ouch...
54d5d0412ca2781e124d4dfeba670036.jpg

I covered the bark with some plastic grocery bags to keep the wound from drying out, then I wrapped it in an ace bandage. Is this repair okay? If so, when should I remove it? If not, then what do I need to do?
d81da34501b7bb545931697153e62af3.jpg

I had to pull the corrugated pipe off the trunk to access the damage and there was a baby garter snake inside. I accidentally broke his back when I pulled the pipe off. I had to kill it to put it out of it's misery. Damn. I like snakes. Especially beneficial ones.
6031ab1287c36a6c43c18e28eb498fe8.jpg

6 feet off the ground is this bird nest. Glad I didn't wreck that, too. Wonder what kind of bird?
a371a1c1b36dc145c3b9238959946d45.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I wrapped a wound with Saran wrap. It allows sunlight in--ultraviolet light kills germs. Worked well. Painting it with 50/50 latex white and water would be my second choice after trimming the ripped bark away. Giving it a coat of paint should theoretically keep the wound from dehydrating.

Reactions: Tap
I wrapped a wound with Saran wrap. It allows sunlight in--ultraviolet light kills germs. Worked well. Painting it with 50/50 latex white and water would be my second choice after trimming the ripped bark away. Giving it a coat of paint should theoretically keep the wound from dehydrating.
I did not cut off the damaged bark. Should I?

Been there more times than I care to admit. If the wound is nice and clean and fresh I have had good success with placing the bark into position as nicely as I can and covering with duct tape for the remainder of the summer. I take it off late fall and see what I've got. Usually the wound has healed nicely.

Those are robin eggs.

If the tree is wounded, advice above is good. Clear out all ground weeds/grass to allow priority water & nutriets to the tree. You can add a bark mulch cover to ensure moisture.

try & seal to keep insects & pests from getting in.

I like snakes too, they represent a healthy ecosystem ... stuff happens :emoji_wink:

Thanks guys.
I think I will re-wrap the wound with Saran Wrap . I like the idea of sunlight penetrating and also that I'll be able to see and monitor it better.
I wonder if there's any fertilizers I should apply to the ground and if so, is there a type that I should use...ie low N, high P, zero K or whatever? I know certain fertilizers are better for certain conditions.

BTW, this pear variety is an " Ed Fort Low Country". While I've had great luck with my 3 other Ed Fort varieties of pears, the Low Country ones have struggled. They have been very slow starters, slow to fruit, and are no where nearly as large and healthy as the Trophy, Docs, or Van. I thought this tree was just about dead a few years ago and I almost cut it down.
The Low Cs have recovered and have finally started to come around. They all have a decent amount of fruit developing right now. I'd like to reduce any type of set back for this one.

PS...It looks like pretty much all of our mast trees in the area are going to bumper crop this year. For once, we dodged all of the frosts. Pears, crabs, and other mast ...everything on my place looks great this spring.

It's nice to have a good year for crops now and then. It is nature's way of giving you a little hope... :emoji_relaxed:

Crap. I was backing up my tractor mowing in a tight space and I hooked my bucket on one of my pear trees and tore some of the bark down to the cambium.
I made a temporary repair and I'm wondering if I should do it another way, or ?? It still has a large portion of the cambium intact, but this tree has struggled over the years. It finally came to life and started to produce fruit. I sure hated to damage it.

You should feel really really really really bad, BECAUSE you are the only person to every do what you did :) I usually snag a couple every year. I normally catch the wire inclosure with the bus hog and pull it all over the tree. It will be fine. I normally only take a pruning knife and clean up the edges of the bark and then let nature take care of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should feel really really really really bad, BECAUSE you are the only person to every do what you did :) I usually snag a couple every year. I normally catch the wire inclosure with the bus hog and pull it all over the tree. It will be fine. I normally only take a pruning knife and clean up the edges of the bark and then let nature take care of it.

I was upset because I thought that YOU were the only one that did that...now I'm just like you...That's upsetting Just kidding.
I wreck a few tree cages every year, too. FELs seem to reach out and grab everything.

I was upset because I thought that YOU were the only one that did that...now I'm just like you...That's upsetting Just kidding.
I wreck a few tree cages every year, too. FELs seem to reach out and grab everything.

I still feel for you. I get an instant feeling of sickness every time I hook one of those cages. I have started spraying MUCH larger areas around the trees and cages and that has helped I hook far fewer now :). But, I have hooked one peach tree already this year LOL