I have 3 new Persimmon Trees to plant on my land

Gary K Wray

Yearling... With promise
Any suggestions on what to do?

I've never planted fruit trees before.

They are in 1 gallon buckets.

Roots go down. Plant to the depth of the dirt line on the trunk. Pack the dirt in so as to not leave air pockets. Apply mulch around the tree to minimize competition with grass roots.
Start fertilizing NEXT year.

Roots go DOWN? are you sure? LOL!

So do I need to put a fence are something around the tree?

Yes. I use 5' high 4"x2" fencing, staked so it doesn't blow over.

Not sure if your being funny or acting funny. Root systems act differently from system to system. Prof Kent is really knowledgeable and he answered your question. Don’t see the need to pop back at him. I’m sure he could have written a 15 paragraph response to what to do next.

I always say don't feed the squirrels but I will bite, since I'm in a particularly grumpy mood... when two guys are cracking low key back and fourths the last thing needed is a third to stir the pot more, especially when there is no pot to stir,....this is a nice place to camp out and chat on topics with out getting jumped on... especially for a new person with a simple question; they will figure it out if an insult was traded which I highly doubt it was....

No, Gary was just acknowledging the humor of " roots go down" LOL.

make sure you protect the trunk too with aluminum window screen

I always say don't feed the squirrels but I will bite, since I'm in a particularly grumpy mood... when two guys are cracking low key back and fourths the last thing needed is a third to stir the pot more, especially when there is no pot to stir,....this is a nice place to camp out and chat on topics with out getting jumped on... especially for a new person with a simple question; they will figure it out if an insult was traded which I highly doubt it was....
I’ll take the blame. No blood no foul. I just appreciate those that educate

My bad. Long week.
S'all right. Everyone is loved here ...until one proves oneself unlovable. No harm, no foul.

Ditto, sorry too, long week as well...

Thought I was back on bow site for a second....

I thought it was funny! I just wanted some comments on the best way to plant the trees to get them to grow. I've planted stuff before and got no results.

Prof Kent, so you are saying not to fertilize the trees this year?

I can't tell from your post if these are bare root trees sitting in buckets or if they are seedlings that were grown in buckets. If they are the latter, the first thing I would do is to check the roots. Trees grown in smooth sided containers can have the roots j-hook or circle. Persimmons have a particularly deep tap root. While they trees can look great when young, eventually these roots constrict themselves and can become problematic as the tree gets older. If you find circling or j-hooking roots I would remove medium, prune them by hand, and then plant them as if they were bare root trees.

In my area, I have lots of native persimmons and they are not high on preferred browse list for deer. They generally don't get bothered. They are subject to rabbits and other rodents. If you are only planting a few trees, protection is not that expensive. When planting hundreds, it is another matter. They can be tubed or caged, both work. Tubes are less expensive. If you use tubes, use stakes that bend in the wind. If you use a cage and the trees need bracing, tie them to the cages loosely so they can bend in the wind to some level but not so far they are damaged.

Persimmons are a great example of the need for trees to be stressed by the wind when young. Persimmons are dioecious and native tree can get quite large before female trees produce. It is not uncommon for someone to find a great tree in the middle of the woods crowded out by other trees. The best practice is to release the tree gradually over several years. There have been folks who get too aggressive and remove too many trees around them too soon. The persimmon ends up snapping off in the wind because it was protected from the wind as it grew. It needs several years of gradually increasing wind to stress it without breaking it before it can withstand higher winds.

For persimmons, make sure you don't plant them in an area where ground water collects. While the trees can tolerate saturation, persimmons can have an issue dropping fruit early before it is mature. There is some thought by the experts that it may be related to a lack of oxygen to the roots during saturation periods. Another location issue depends on where you live. If you are outside the native range of persimmons, you will need to either plant a male tree or allow some branches to grow below the graft (if it is a grafted female). If the trees are not grafted, you won't know if they are male or female until they are mature enough to flower. You can identify male from female by the flowers. They are pollinated by insects, not wind, so if you are in the native range, you likely have unknown males within a mile or so that will pollinate them. It can't hurt to plant a male, leave some male branches below the graft, or even graft a male branch or two if you are not sure.

By the way, I'm making the assumption you are talking about American persimmons not Oriental (Kaki, Lotus). I don't recommend those for deer. American persimmons are great for deer but can take a long time to produce.

Thanks,

Jack

I thought it was funny! I just wanted some comments on the best way to plant the trees to get them to grow. I've planted stuff before and got no results.
Yep! I apologize for making a comment.

Yes, I'm talking American Persimmons and they were grown in the containers.I'll check the roots when planting. Thanks for the info!

Oh, yes. While it doesn't hurt to fertilize them a little after establishment, American persimmons are not particularly responsive to fertilizer like many other fruit trees.

OK, thanks