I got a call last night

bueller

from my buddy who was out hunting some public property in IL. I introduced him to deer hunting a couple years ago and he is still looking for his first deer. He had gone out midday yesterday and set up his stand along a field edge. Shortly after 5pm my phone rings. He tells me that he saw a doe with two bucks "following" her. In his words, the first buck in line is a "a big one, 8 or 10 points". The second buck is a fork or a six pointer. He watches as the larger buck works over some brush/smaller trees with his rack. The doe leads both the bucks into a broadside position approximately 32 yards out. He shoots an arrow at the larger buck. He hears a "smack" and watches the buck jump/kick and run maybe 75 yards. The buck then slows his pace and walks out of view. He calls me while still shaking in his stand. It's getting dark so I tell him to slowly and quietly get down and look for his arrow or blood. He finds some blood but no arrow. I instruct him to back out of there and wait. Another buddy and I respond out there to help track.

Three hours pass from the time of the shot until we begin the track. He brings us to the blood he found, a couple bright red drops. With no sign of the arrow we follow blood trail down a low growing grassy area with thick brush to the left and tall thick grass to the right. The buck stays on this "easy" course for approximately 200 yards until it dead ends at a brushy ditch with steep banks. The color of the blood trail looked good but it wasn't the easiest to follow. Mostly small droplets with a spot here and there about the size of a dollar bill. Just inside the woodline at the brushy ditch we find the arrow snapped off. Penetration with the rage broadhead (not my choice) looks to be about 6". We discover that the buck went down the ditch crossing property lines while doing so. We back out and are able to make contact with the land owner bordering the public property. He gives us permission to enter his property to continue our track.

We hope that the buck is piled up in the bottom of the ditch or the thick and nasty brush in the immediate area. We find that the buck made it down the steep bank with no signs of falling or crashing. After that he went right up the other steep bank. Our hopes are starting to diminish now. We find the other end of the arrow with the broadhead. I don't have a whole lot of experience with bow hunting, is this common? After finding the arrow snapped off I didn't expect to find the broadhead end unless we were pulling it out of the deer. We continue the track through another 150 yards of thick and nasty brush. The blood appears to get better at times but then we wouldn't find anything for 20 feet or so. Another bad sign IMO was that this buck was traveling on small trails rather than just busting and crashing through the brush. The blood trail takes us to the edge of a cut corn field. We follow the blood into the field and pick the trail up 150 additional yards off of a wooded point on the opposite side. We lose the track at this point. 500 yards from the shot. The buck was for the most part on a track taking him due south. Continuing on this track would take him another 200 yards across a farm field and into a large block of woods owned by a different person. He didn't appear to bed down anywhere along the track even though he was never pushed. It's after midnight at this point and we calls it quits. The blood trail is lost and the sign is not leading us to believe that this buck was going to lay down and die anytime soon.

So what the heck happened here? We are all new to bow hunting and still have a lot to learn. My feeling is that he must have hit the front shoulder which severely limited the penetration. My guess is that he may have got one lung and that this buck is going to live to see another day. I believe if he was hit good he would've immediately seeked the thick cover instead of staying on the grass path. And even so once in the thick cover by the ditch that he would've bed down and expired there. I'd like to hear some thought from those with more experience, even if you are going to be critical of something we did or didn't do. At this point we would rather learn from this rather than walk away quietly like it never happened.

Last edited:
Sounds like one lung is a possibility. My experience is one lung is a dead deer but it may take several hours. I would be back in daylight and continue the search.

I also would not shoot and expandable. I think a fixed head has a better chance of punching through a shoulder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stop typing. get out there and look for crows or turkey vultures. get on last blood. Get on your hands and knees. Generally if blood stops the deer may be running and the blood might be spread out. Keep looking. My guess is that it never bedded down.

stop typing. get out there and look for crows or turkey vultures. get on last blood. Get on your hands and knees. Generally if blood stops the deer may be running and the blood might be spread out. Keep looking. My guess is that it never bedded down.
I'd love to but I work for living. That's why I wasn't out there hunting yesterday.

Jump/kick-low is my guess. U guys find any meat? Broadhead/arrow, ground?
Takes a lot to bring down a mature buck with a bow, that's why it is really best to keep shots inside 25 yards. No matter how good u are target shooting. I read more and more of these wounding stories along with my own screw ups, and you seldom hear guys wounding deer at 20-15. Get to 30 and the wound rate sky rockets.
I've been guilty myself and finally starting to realize distance is huge. No matter how good u can target shoot at 50.
If it is one lunged you were pushing it too hard, to quickly. The buck was standing and watching u guys track it towards the end, that's why u were finding small puddles.
My buddy has a picture for the last month of a buck. The deers front shoulder had 2 arrows lodged in there. Seen a few neck shots the last few days and I feel like throwing up.
It isn't tv.

imo,the 32 yard shot was out of his effective range, expandables deflect on bone impact causing poor penetration and no second, lower drain hole. My guess is it was a shoulder only hit, they bleed fairly well but 500 yards and no bed tells me he will be fine. Did you see any pink bubble blood? My guess is it never penetrated the chest cavity. Get him some muzzys or hellrazors and keep a newbies shots inside 25 yards or less.

No pink bubble blood found anywhere.

Jump/kick-low is my guess. U guys find any meat? Broadhead/arrow, ground?
Takes a lot to bring down a mature buck with a bow, that's why it is really best to keep shots inside 25 yards. No matter how good u are target shooting. I read more and more of these wounding stories along with my own screw ups, and you seldom hear guys wounding deer at 20-15. Get to 30 and the wound rate sky rockets.
I've been guilty myself and finally starting to realize distance is huge. No matter how good u can target shoot at 50.
If it is one lunged you were pushing it too hard, to quickly. The buck was standing and watching u guys track it towards the end, that's why u were finding small puddles.
My buddy has a picture for the last month of a buck. The deers front shoulder had 2 arrows lodged in there. Seen a few neck shots the last few days and I feel like throwing up.
It isn't tv.
No meat found anywhere. I don't disagree with you and NoFo that 30 yards was pushing his limits and that fixed blades are better option, I shoot them myself.

I disagree that we pushed it too hard, to quickly. By the time we entered and crossed the ditch it was 5 hours after the shot. 5 hours and never bedded yet still standing 250 yards from the shot, I don't think so. IMO that deer was long gone by the time we started to track.

Last edited:
Is it uncommon for the broadhead end of the arrow to fall out of the deer somewhere along the track?

Not uncommon at all. I have had deer actually bite the arrow off at the exit with the remainder of the shaft embedded in the body cavity. Shot through the far shoulder blade one time and found about 10" of the broadhead end of the arrow about 75 yards from where I hit the deer, thing is, 50 yards later the deer was laying dead. Good luck in your search.

If it were me, I'd go back out and look and LISTEN for crows / watch for vultures. I was in that situation a couple times ( not my wounded deer, but members of my camp had hit them ), and even the next day, we heard no fussing crows, saw no vultures. This was after the leaves dropped, so crows would find a carcass easily. Lost blood trail = listen and look for crows & vultures. To me - no crows or vultures means deer is up and walking.

Just an example - this year a hunting buddy got a big doe with his bow. The gut pile was under some pines and oaks with leaves still on. Next morning, about 3 dozen crows were on the pile and sitting in the trees squawking like crazy. Even hidden under pines - they found it quick !!

Put the dog, any dog if your options are limited, on a leash and put it on the blood. A dog with a decent nose may find the deer yet. The arrow snapping and falling it is fairly common. That is a long way to track a deer - did you notice any places where it seemed to pick up it's pace or run? This is where looking at the actual tracks can help - sometimes all you have is the actual deer tracks to follow. I would suspect that you may have caught up to the deer at the end and bumped him. I agree that a mortally wounded deer would normally have bedded down in the time you gave him. You may have a deep muscle hit that bleeds fairly well, but if he didn't stop to bed I doubt he was hit "hard". Even when I have screwed up tracking jobs on gut shot deer and the like I typically find them or a bed within the first couple hundred yards. loosing a deer sucks - my only advice now would be to take the dog for a "walk" and see if they can find the deer. I hope your buddy finds his buck.

Put the dog, any dog if your options are limited, on a leash and put it on the blood. A dog with a decent nose may find the deer yet. The arrow snapping and falling it is fairly common. That is a long way to track a deer - did you notice any places where it seemed to pick up it's pace or run? This is where looking at the actual tracks can help - sometimes all you have is the actual deer tracks to follow. I would suspect that you may have caught up to the deer at the end and bumped him. I agree that a mortally wounded deer would normally have bedded down in the time you gave him. You may have a deep muscle hit that bleeds fairly well, but if he didn't stop to bed I doubt he was hit "hard". Even when I have screwed up tracking jobs on gut shot deer and the like I typically find them or a bed within the first couple hundred yards. loosing a deer sucks - my only advice now would be to take the dog for a "walk" and see if they can find the deer. I hope your buddy finds his buck.
We found no evidence that the buck ever ran. Much of the ground we were on was soft and moist and we were able to see his tracks at times. Never did we come across a track that was made by a running deer or a deer that was "kicked" up. I've tracked my fair share of deer, albeit most were shot with firearms. My experience is telling me that this buck was not mortally wounded, or at least not mortally wounded to the point where a recovery is going to happen without birds or dogs assisting.

I would agree doesn't sound like a fatal wound. I have a wall full of deer that were shot at a distance of greater than 35 yards, effective range is very hunter specific. I also haven't lost a deer shot with a rage. To each their own I guess.

Good luck and keep us informed.

"He shoots an arrow at the larger buck. He hears a "smack" and watches the buck jump/kick and run maybe 75 yards. The buck then slows his pace and walks out of view"

sounds exactly the way one acted I shot last year [the one in my avitar] hit in the liver first shot runs a bit then stopas , I managed to get another arrow into one lung at 50 yds when he stopped for a few seconds...

"He shoots an arrow at the larger buck. He hears a "smack" and watches the buck jump/kick and run maybe 75 yards. The buck then slows his pace and walks out of view"

sounds exactly the way one acted I shot last year [the one in my avitar] hit in the liver first shot runs a bit then stopas , I managed to get another arrow into one lung at 50 yds when he stopped for a few seconds...
Interesting. But I would think if liver shot he would've gotten better penetration and this deer would've bedded down and left dark red blood?

Interesting. But I would think if liver shot he would've gotten better penetration and this deer would've bedded down and left dark red blood?
probably mine was hit high in body top of liver so most of the blood was caught by the hair. the second shot was also high because of my stand hight, arrow entered high in front of hip and passed through left lung stopping in brisket .. very little blood ended up calling buddy a Nick Skinner with two blood hounds [best deer trackers in the country btw] deer went about 200 yds..

Unfortunately I think that this buck will be the one that haunts him for years. We all have at least that does. Whether it was one we wounded, flat out missed, or saw but never had a shot at. We will be out checking and hunting the area again the next three days.

Every deer I've wounded haunts me. I feel horrible knowing any deer is walking around wounded. My property or anywhere. I'm still thinking of mos buck he wounded last year,the guy hates me and I've never set foot in a mo woodlot.