All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge grass identification please

bigfatskinny

Yearling... With promise
IMG_1920.JPG IMG_1921.JPG IMG_1922.JPG I found this stand of grass while out walking the property today. It's 8-10 feet high and super thick. This is the only stand of it that I found and I was thinking that it would make a great screen. Does anyone know what it is? Please and thank you.

Looks like phrafmites. I wouldn't encourage it if it is.

Look into miscanthus giganthus grass if you want good grass screens. Not invasive and easy to kill if you ever want to.

That is phragmites, I sprayed some I found at my place this weekend. Get it before it spreads.

X3

Just a heads up- miscanthus may not be invasive everywhere, but it sure is in Tennessee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a heads up- miscanthus may not be invasive everywhere, but it sure is in Tennessee.

Several varieties of miscanthus. The Giganthus breed was developed to produce a sterile seed head for use in the biofuel industry. The only way to reproduce it is via a rhizome or live stake cuttings. I've tried growing it from the seed both stratified and Not stratified. No dice, it won't grow..

Also, I've had some plants for over 8 years with no escapees from the those original plants. It's safe.

Call me the black sheep, but I enjoy having phragmitis on our property.

Always good for holding a pheasant or two come late season.

I know others have battled with phragmites, but I would trade my reed canary grass for it any day. RCG flattens out after the 1st snow and chokes out anything trying to grow through it. I hate the stuff.

-John

I know others have battled with phragmites, but I would trade my reed canary grass for it any day. RCG flattens out after the 1st snow and chokes out anything trying to grow through it. I hate the stuff.

-John

Yea, I don't get real upset about MFR anymore. The deer seem to like it and Rose Rosetta is killing some of it.