How wide are your roads?

Boll Weevil

5 year old buck +
Simple curiosity but how wide are most of the roads on your property? Most of mine (at least through the timber) are just wide enough to get my 15ft drill through.

I made all my r o w’s At least 2 chains wide. I wish now I would have made them a little wider

A little more context: I'm planning a thinning of about 200 acres of pine timber and looking at how wide I'd like my roads, that will be crowned, and with ditches.

.......Wide enough NOT to knock every reflector,light,mirror,antenna,step off the tractor cab when mowing.......

bill

Mine are wide enough for me to drive my truck on them as long as I keep them trimmed back.

If you are going to crown them I would go 20' wide. With ditches you'll be able to drive anything you want down them. JMHO

-John

In the timber, about a dozer blade width or more like and ATV trail. Where I need to plant, the are wide enough for a lime truck. I agree with John for crowning and ditching. I had that done last fall.

The wider the right of way the better imo. This gives visibility to the property for me allowing more enjoyment. It creates openings and edge which is good for everything. It creates the opportunity to plant if desired but at the least with more sunlight hitting soil all kinds of weeds and grasses grow. I'm as apt to see deer feeding in the r o w's as in food plots. I only mow my r o w's once a year in fall so they are low maintenance for the value they provide.

Of all the things I've done to improve the property a beautiful wide roadway system is one of the best. All roads are crowned and ditched and with the wide openings they get light and air and dry quickly making them year round access with truck, tractor or whatever.

Roads? I have some paths that are generally only wide enough to get my little tractor thru....maybe 6 feet wide. If I need to take my truck....I need to prepare in advance. The logging trails in the woods allow my truck to pass but I am not maintaining that width. So my official answer is, "only as wide as I need it to be to get my equipment where I need it.....sometimes."

When we bought our place, most of ours were just wide enough to get logging equipment and trucks through. They stayed pretty wet and would degrade quickly if we drove on them wet. When we did our thinning, we had a row removed along the roads. When we had them touched up with a dozer for firebreaks, we widened them. The daylighting has helped them dry out more quickly.

Thanks,

Jack

When we did our thinning, we had a row removed along the roads.
This is exactly, precisely what I'm thinking. The rows of timber are 9ft apart so removing a row on both sides of the road will add about 18ft. Most roads have never grown anything in part because of lack of sunlight and generally remaining covered by pine straw.

Baker's comments above are also some outcomes I'm looking to achieve. Not sure if I'll actually plant anything other than grass to keep the roads stabilized, but it'll be nice if they're daylighted enough to grow something.

1568129400595.png