All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to propagate hazel?

Telemark

5 year old buck +
I have access to a lot of hazel trees, and I can cut pretty much as many as I want. Anyone have success propagating hazel from hard cuttings? Is there a better way?

Are you talking witch hazel??
I've read from a book by a famous naturalist/artist here that witch hazel "shoots" it's seeds for quite a distance - 15 to 20 ft. I believe - from it's seed hulls. That's how they spread naturally here. I've never heard or read of propagating from cuttings. It may be possible, but I have NO idea on that.

Our native witch hazel "trees" are more like shrubby trees. They get to about 15 ft. tall as understory trees in our hardwood forests. They seem to grow in clumps and as they grow they lean over in all directions. The tops grow outward from the center of the clusters (think mushroom-shape for the cluster). Bucks like to rub on them here.

No I mean hazelnut hazel. I want to grow a whole forest of it.

Hazelnut is my favorite shrub, they grow fast grow about anywhere are zero maintenance and benefit a large spectrum of wildlife.
I’ve never read on anything being done from them with cuttings. They are prone to sucker and you can dig those when dormant and move them very successfully. They are also cheap to buy in bulk, I get mine from ColsdStream Farm out of MI. The bigger you plant the better your success rate should be.

Ok, I will look for suckers. I can stool some as well, but that sets me back a year.

I tried propagating nuts. They were a bit hard to germinate but the ones that did grew well in my rootmaker system. Here is the thread with details: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/hazel-nuts-select-posts-from-a-qdma-forum-thread.5606/. When I planted them in the field, the deer hit them before I got them protected and they did not do well. They are a good browse species for deer.

Thanks,

Jack

What happens when you cut witch hazel way back? I have several huge, very mature witch hazel that i would like to cut back.

Best way to propagate hazelnuts is by layering. Bend young shoots over, push stem down into a hole and cover with dirt. Dig up the following spring and transplant the rooted plant. There are ways you can do this like an apple stoolbed by girdling shoots and mounding up with sawdust.
http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/how-to-propagate-hazel.11713/

Digging/splitting suckers and layering as mentioned above... I had more luck splitting my hazel nuts but then again I tried to layer the ones I dug and replanted by, after replanting, burying branches bent down and dug in off of the newly transplanted hazel nuts. I had a fair amount of die back from the bigger clumps of plants I transplanted but they were quick to re sprout. My layering will be re evaluated this spring with green up.
The one thing I will tell you is they take years to establish into tall clumps - they are not as fast growing as I had expected. And for the ones I bought from the DNR -- they took years to get anywhere. - just saying

I think they have a lot of value when added to the land as a whole but I am disappointed at the volume each plant produces after 10-15 years. They are a long term plant from my experience. I have them and would will plant more. I have a 5 by 15 foot large clump to break apart and and transplant this spring then I will be back to ordering them as individual plants if I choose to plant more.

Witch hazel hinges very well and forms nice thick cover when you hinge all the existing shoots and lay them down.

What happens when you cut witch hazel way back? I have several huge, very mature witch hazel that i would like to cut back.