how to fix leaning chestnut trees?

Persimman

5 year old buck +
Sept 2014 I put 2 Wal-Mart/CHO Dunstan chestnuts in a broad low flat. Excellent dirt, about 6 hrs direct sun. 2015 was disappointing, but this year they really grew, in height and caliper. Both have been droopy from the start, and after this good growing year the leaning is worse. Note in the pics a side branch is becoming the new leader. Should I leave the tree as is, and let it 'naturally' select a new leader? But then the trunk will be badly offset. Should I stake it straighter? and gradually bring it back to upright? I don't want too much tension on it for fear the bending action will cramp the conductive tissue on one side. I can't just pull the top back in line; the main trunk will still be C-shaped. Need to guy the main trunk to the left, while pulling the top to the right. What would y'all do? thanks for replies.
20160828_125458.jpg 20160828_125505.jpg

Place multiple stakes and tie it off as needed to get it straightened out.....better to do it now as it will be harder as it gets older

Sept 2014 I put 2 Wal-Mart/CHO Dunstan chestnuts in a broad low flat. Excellent dirt, about 6 hrs direct sun. 2015 was disappointing, but this year they really grew, in height and caliper. Both have been droopy from the start, and after this good growing year the leaning is worse. Note in the pics a side branch is becoming the new leader. Should I leave the tree as is, and let it 'naturally' select a new leader? But then the trunk will be badly offset. Should I stake it straighter? and gradually bring it back to upright? I don't want too much tension on it for fear the bending action will cramp the conductive tissue on one side. I can't just pull the top back in line; the main trunk will still be C-shaped. Need to guy the main trunk to the left, while pulling the top to the right. What would y'all do? thanks for replies.

I'm not sure if I'd do anything. If you really want to straighten it, you can but I'm not sure I would. First, chestnuts really tend to grow tall fast and it is not uncommon for them to lean. Trees need to flex in the wind. If not, they can become brittle and snap in heavy wind. So, if you do try to stake it, keep this in mind.

Thanks,

Jack

To me they look like they have been in the tube to long. I would loose the tube put screen on the bottom couple of feet and stake it high with good wire inside of hose, pulling it gently away from the bow. Maybe even double stake it for support. Being more in the elements should help it stiffen up and grow stronger on its own.

They are good looking trees.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take off the tubes and see more what's going on. Probably try some trampoline springs (never throw anything away) (it's hard to use up 80 trampoline springs) with guy wires.