Honeylocust- do or dont

trampledbyturtles

5 year old buck +
Had it dead set in my mind to plant about 8 thornless honeylocust this coming spring in an area I am revamping.

Idea was to diversify my late season emergency food options.

Watched deer come into my backyard everynight to eat the brown pods. So thought it would be a no brainer.

Then I got to reading past posts an there are alot hard no's to this idea.

Know every area is differnt. But dont see to big of a risk of them spreading here. Condtions are just not good for voluntary seedlings to establish.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hard "No" from this guy. Spawn of the devil... only rivaled by Johnson Grass and Sericea lespedeza for effort and cost to control. Plus the seeds they produce will not be true to the parent (ie. It's likely to spread thorned offspring). They may act differently in your area than mine though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Texas sized 10-4 on the NO from here.

I have a bank of them at my house. Cut down their parents and roughly 7.5 Trillion sprouted. Can't get sunlight to my pines

Not only no but hell no. They are the enemy on my place. Getting ready to go cut down a bunch as I type this

Hard "No" from this guy. Spawn of the devil... only rivaled by Johnson Grass and Sericea lespedeza for effort and cost to control. Plus the seeds they produce will not be true to the parent (ie. It's likely to spread thorned offspring). They may act differently in your area than mine though.

I was waiting for you to jump all over this!!!! I know you have a love/hate relationship with locust! You LOVE to HATE them!!!!

I was waiting for you to jump all over this!!!! I know you have a love/hate relationship with locust! You LOVE to HATE them!!!!
You know me!

i can send you all you want......

..........also fire ants, feral hogs, wooly crouton, and giant ragweed.......

not no , but hell to the f****in no

bill

Kinda surprised/not surprised by the blowback

Local NRCS rep stated he would plant them in heartbeat an not worry about any potiental spread.

Know certain locations further south an east they can be a menace, both for displacement of natives or the pain in the ass they can be to cut for firewood, or their hazard to vehicle tires.

But no joke, we are limited in our planting options, even more so in the mast department. So if anyone has a suggestion outside of Bur or chink oak I am all ears.

Edit: have soft mast covered, looking for hard mast or alternative late dropping food

Edit: also trying chinese chestnut this year (dont think zone wise they will make it long) and American chestnut (hoping I may be isolated enough)

Last edited:
Kinda surprised/not surprised by the blowback

Local NRCS rep stated he would plant them in heartbeat an not worry about any potiental spread.

Know certain locations further south an east they can be a menace, both for displacement of natives or the pain in the ass they can be to cut for firewood, or their hazard to vehicle tires.

But no joke, we are limited in our planting options, even more so in the mast department. So if anyone has a suggestion outside of Bur or chink oak I am all ears.

Edit: have soft mast covered, looking for hard mast or alternative late dropping food

Edit: also trying chinese chestnut this year (dont think zone wise they will make it long) and American chestnut (hoping I may be isolated enough)
At one time the NRCS also recommended planting sericea lespedeza. I can tell you how that has worked out.

That’s a big NO from me too.

Here's a locust tree I cut down and treated with gly. I apparantly just pissed it off and it medusa'd into a hell of a thicket.
33743a148b4cf9207c5d2484322809e3.jpg

Here's a locust tree I cut down and treated with gly. I apparantly just pissed it off and it medusa'd into a hell of a thicket.

Pathfinder kills them graveyard dead.

Pathfinder kills them graveyard dead.
I use a generic with the same active ingredient (with 24d and dicamba) as Pathfinder. The thicket was from before I knew that gly wouldn't work.

I have a love hate relationship for locusts. The deer and squirrels hit the pods very hard. But, once established in an area, they require annual maintenance to keep them in check. Pretty sure the cattle and deer go straight from eating pods to my waterways to make a deposit. There are no locusts anywhere near the waterways. But, the young ones still pop up there regularly.

If I ever get them under complete control and get down to the last few, I will have a decision to make...

Medusa'd is the best description I have heard:)

Orlando, you will never have to make that choice (once you get them down to just a few. I believe the seed can remain viable for a very long time and once started they will pop up forever.
Lol. Medusa is the only way I can describe what they do when you cut the head off.

Orlando, you will never have to make that choice (once you get them down to just a few. I believe the seed can remain viable for a very long time and once started they will pop up forever.
Lol. Medusa is the only way I can describe what they do when you cut the head off.

Catscratch, I agree...but I gotta try:)

So what your saying is the seed I just got for giving the Thornless a try should go in the garbage can??

So what your saying is the seed I just got for giving the Thornless a try should go in the garbage can??
Do an internet search before you take my word for it... but I believe seed is not going to be true to thornless parents unless great pains were taken to insure pollination did not include any thorned genetics. Even if so, future offspring could be thorned due to sexual reproduction with the thorned varieties planted.