Hinge cutting tools

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
I'm involved in a couple discussions on the 'hinge cutting bedding areas' thread and in the 'who is working this weekend' threads. I thought I'd start a separate one on tools for hinge cutting and ask what you guys all use.

I have a Stihl MS 251 Wood Boss chainsaw. I have a couple Stihl wedges, my trusty Silky Zubat hand saw and a Fiskars pole saw that I bought on clearance a couple weeks ago at Home Depot for $8. I'm not sure how strong or durable the blade on the Fiskars will be. Its not near the tool the Silky is, at least in my experience and opinion, but for $8 its worth it for as long as it lasts.

The pole saw is just to remove any small limbs that might appear to be in the way of a tree I'm wanting to hinge. The chainsaw will only get used on bigger trees when I have help.

The Silky Zubat is my tool of choice for the 3-5 inch trees that I've started learning to hinge on. I can already see the benefit of the wedges and a small sledge hammer for the slightly larger trees. I have one of those short handled 4 pound sledges that carries easily.

I'm seriously thinking of buying one of the Habitat hooks. They have a heavy duty expanding model that is made to extend from 5 1/2 to 9 1/2 feet that looks like it'd be useful. I had a couple trees where I could have used something like that last week.

So what do you guys use and recommend?

I use about the same as you, I have a Stihl MS-170, chaps, helmet, Silky hand saw and this year I tried using wedges and found it easier on the bigger trees and leaners. I also purchased a carpenters hammer holder to go on my belt, the first time I used the wedges I was throwing the hammer down and then having to search for it now it's on my side.

I have an echo 370 and it works well for me. I also use a wedge and mallet to help with tricky hinges. I purchased a helmet with muffs and face shield after taking a stick in the face and am looking to get chaps because as I get older I am starting to see I am not invincible.

My dad bought a hinge hook last year and we love it. Honestly, you could probably make something similar yourself, but having that as a tool to use makes a world of difference. We rarely have trees snapping off after getting it. We can also put trees right where we want them.

There is a guy in Michigan called Nick Nations who makes the best hinging hook if you need one. I think I can find his website and if my memory is correct I think I posted it on here about 15 months ago.

I use about the same as you, I have a Stihl MS-170, chaps, helmet, Silky hand saw and this year I tried using wedges and found it easier on the bigger trees and leaners. I also purchased a carpenters hammer holder to go on my belt, the first time I used the wedges I was throwing the hammer down and then having to search for it now it's on my side.

Thanks for mentioning the Chaps. I always have my chaps and safety helmet.

When I'm working I wear my Carharts - nice handy loops and pockets.

The nations hook is what I was looking at. I think I like the shorter expanding one (is that an oxymoron?). It seems to balance handiness with overall length.

The nations hook is what I was looking at. I think I like the shorter expanding one (is that an oxymoron?). It seems to balance handiness with overall length.

I have the expanding model of nick nation's hook. Definitely a very handy tool but it does get to be kind of a pain to lug it through the woods all the time. But when you need it you're definitely glad you have it.

And just a little disclaimer mine is supposed to have 3 different length adjustments but after several seasons of abuse it is torqued and locked into the middle position. I'm guessing it's about 9-10' currently. When it was extended all the way it did give you a great amount of leverage, but it was easy to bend also. If I bought another I'd don't think I'd get one that extends that far. When combined with wedges I think 8-10' is about perfect.

I'll echo the praise for Nick's habitat hook. I've been hinging up to 6" ash this winter with my Stihl MS-150c saw...this is an arborist saw with a 12" blade and it's light as all get out...and even my 15 year old daughter can knock them down using the hook. We've made a real mess in a couple of areas that will be very interesting once the leaves come in.

Couldn't agree more on helmet, face shield and chaps. Had a buddy get multiple stitches in his face and another cut his leg open. Love the saw but wear safety gear.0709161638a.jpg

I use everything already covered. I'll add that i carry all this gear in a big back pack with a draw string top. I can fit everything and my gas can in there, so my hands are free to carry my saw and habitat hook.

Another vote here for Nick Nation's hook.
And a pole pruner with a lopper is also quite handy if you are working among vines. A tiny grape vine strung from tree to tree can make it difficult to drop a hinge cut tree. A pole lopper can allow you to reach up and snip the vine.

I also carry some stuff for the chain saw in a small pack. It sucks to be a quarter mile from the truck or house and have a saw issue. My pack is stocked with a large MSR fuel bottle for saw mix. MSR bottles have pour holes formed in the threads so the cap won't have to be removed in order to pour...just a few turns of the cap exposes the pouring hole. It keeps debris and dirt from getting in the bottle and also eliminates spillage or the need for a funnel.
The large MSR bottle is a perfect size for me. It fits in my pack nicely and if I fill my saw before I leave for the woods, I'll get 2 more tanks from the fuel bottle...3 total tanks is usually enough before fatigue sets in and it time to quit the chainsaw for the day.
I carry a 24 oz bottle (soda bottle) with bar oil.
And some basic saw tools and a spare spark plug.
Wedges.

Hand pruners are always with me any time I'm in the woods, regardless of whether I'm working, scouting, looking for sheds or hunting.

My favorite hinging tool is my son. Without him, hinging alone would suck, and be dangerous. Other then him, I carry an ax, several wedges, a spare saw, rope, a pocket knife, water for myself, a couple candy bars. I of course take atv's to the location, I have used the winch several times to pull trees out of other trees. I carry files, spare chains, fuel and oil. Seems like a lot, but when you have a kit, and a old milk crate to organize stuff, it isnt bad.

I agree with all the above suggestions. I'll add something to the list. First aid supplies consisting of simply an Israeli bandage and a tourniquet. These two tools could save your life if something went wrong with a saw deep in the woods. If you do get them to carry with you pull them out and practice applying them one handed.

I agree with all the above suggestions. I'll add something to the list. First aid supplies consisting of simply an Israeli bandage and a tourniquet. These two tools could save your life if something went wrong with a saw deep in the woods. If you do get them to carry with you pull them out and practice applying them one handed.

Excellent point. Some of the combat/first aid tourniquets out there are super simple and can absolutely save your life. I have one in a response bag in my truck but don't take it when I am doing habitat work. I think I will change that. I have been reading some accident threads on arboristsite.com and it makes you realize how easy an accident with a chainsaw can happen and how fatal they can be as well. Other basic first aid items would be a good idea also. I love habitat work with my saw but like to have a plan, which also keeps me focused on how dangerous it can be. Stay safe guys.

If you do decide to get a tourniquet don't just throw it in your bag. First, practice putting it on both to your arms and legs. Also do this one handed pretending your other arm is injured and useless. They are easy to use after practice. At work we practice all the time. Second, instead of keeping it in your bag see if you can carry it on your person in a location that it can be accessed by either hand.

I like this post a lot. I too have a comprehensive first aid kit in the truck. Everyone knows where it is - but it doesn't do much good if I'm a quarter mile away. It'd sure be a good idea to put one in the atv too.

Hand saw like a silky saw. If it requires a chainsaw it is too big of a tree to hinge IMO. Hand saw is good exercise and rarely do you accidentally cut too deep. Use a hard rake or garden hoe as a hooking tool.

I need a hook on a rope, I am terrible for hanging trees up on the one next to it...and I try to hinge to big of trees. I can cut the hell out of some fire wood though!