All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Bush Cranberry and Pussy Willow thoughts?

tynimiller

5 year old buck +
Have a good line on some cheap through local soil and water. Use will only be for a hedge along a property edge/access route to a stand. I like the idea of what they provide for insects and birds but curious if anyone has experience with either.

Spot will be drier area soil wise and is a sandier type soil. Any first hand experience shared appreciated.

I have planted Highbush Cranberry. Highly preferred by my deer and they will browse it to death if not caged here. The ones I caged and have lived wouldn't make a great hedge but mine are individual plants and not that thick. I would definitely plant them somewhere if I could get them cheap. I can't comment on the Pussy Willow.

I have planted Highbush Cranberry. Highly preferred by my deer and they will browse it to death if not caged here. The ones I caged and have lived wouldn't make a great hedge but mine are individual plants and not that thick. I would definitely plant them somewhere if I could get them cheap. I can't comment on the Pussy Willow.

Hmm....if preferred browse this could be counter productive as I wasn't planning on fencing them so perhaps I'll look elsewhere or plant them incredibly dense and see what mother nature does....thanks!

I have a bunch of the high bush/top cranberry planted in my shrub strips and another 50 ordered for next spring.
Mine are mixed in with crab apple/hazelnut/pin oak/dogwood/chestnuts and red dossier willow. I don’t mow much or have a real high deer population so the native grasses and weeds protect them a lot, like you I liked the benefit for all types of wildlife so I went heavy with them.
I haven’t planted any pussy willow.....yet.

I have a bunch of the high bush/top cranberry planted in my shrub strips and another 50 ordered for next spring.
Mine are mixed in with crab apple/hazelnut/pin oak/dogwood/chestnuts and red dossier willow. I don’t mow much or have a real high deer population so the native grasses and weeds protect them a lot, like you I liked the benefit for all types of wildlife so I went heavy with them.
I haven’t planted any pussy willow.....yet.

Thanks for feedback! I've decided to get at minimum 25 of them....may shove some in the open and cage a year or two to help minimize browsing but most may get shoved in the overgrown bedding areas and/or briar patches which "should" minimize issues. Worst case I feed the critters with them LOL!

The pussy willows I'm going to plant in a strip like setting along with some MG....more of an experiment than anything and if they do what I like I'll start more edges with cuttings maybe in future. I like the idea of having something that insects and bees from understanding love but no brows issues exists it seems with deer and critters for a hedge row.