Hewes crabapple issue or not??

Skelly

5 year old buck +
I planted the crabapple group from wildlife group earlier this winter.

First photo is the Hewes and the second is Callaway followed by Dolgo. Callaway and Dolgo are both doing well but Hewes leaves just look so different. It leafed out later then all the others and has looked like this from the beginning.

Anyone with experience with this variety chime in and let me know if this is just what the young growth looks like with Hewes or if it needs some help?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 6708C169-66EB-4DD8-93EC-2E34F9283733.jpeg
    6708C169-66EB-4DD8-93EC-2E34F9283733.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 60
  • ED28BBA9-18E7-44A0-A579-96DDA0804A3F.jpeg
    ED28BBA9-18E7-44A0-A579-96DDA0804A3F.jpeg
    693.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 7BA2B093-1DBC-49F1-B576-456EEEB78FF3.jpeg
    7BA2B093-1DBC-49F1-B576-456EEEB78FF3.jpeg
    546.4 KB · Views: 53
Not normal in terms of anything I have seen from my Hewes. Looks like a nutrient deficiency, but if that is the case it would likely be from the previous growing location not from your planting location.

Ok. Any suggestions on helping it.

I bought a Red deliscious late last year from a nursery that only had a couple trees left. It had CAR pretty bad but for $10 I went ahead and picked it up. This year it looks great and putting on some great growth with no signs of issues.

So just let it roll with good soil around it now and maybe some 10-10-10 in a few weeks when I apply my second fertilizer to my 2 year old trees.?

I have no personal experience with Hewes, but those leaves don't look healthy. Either nutrient difficiency or root problems is my guess. The later leads to the former. Could be the roots were water logged. I would save a scion / bud and graft to another tree if that is the only Hewes you have. Young trees are tender and can succumb to things that older trees would just shake off.

The leaf color reminds me of an iron chlorosis problem I had with chestnuts when I first started. While there was sufficient iron, they could not uptake it because of my soil pH. I'm not suggest pH is an issue for apples. There may be more going on than just that but it is something I'd consider. The leaf that makes me suspect this is the one where you see the dark green vein down the middle and a few dark veins branching off it with the rest of the leaf very light green and almost yellow. I did not see the leaf curl with my chestnuts you are seeing. That may be a secondary disease issue as a result of the stress.

Thanks,

Jack

I have no personal experience with Hewes, but those leaves don't look healthy. Either nutrient difficiency or root problems is my guess. The later leads to the former. Could be the roots were water logged. I would save a scion / bud and graft to another tree if that is the only Hewes you have. Young trees are tender and can succumb to things that older trees would just shake off.
I wish I had experience with grafting. I have yet to take the plunge.

Looks like IDC with a touch of 2/4D drift from last year,

Pushing that many leaves that are slightly cupped up makes me think a growth regulator herbicide is the main culprit.

But I'm not sure

The leaf color reminds me of an iron chlorosis problem I had with chestnuts when I first started. While there was sufficient iron, they could not uptake it because of my soil pH. I'm not suggest pH is an issue for apples. There may be more going on than just that but it is something I'd consider. The leaf that makes me suspect this is the one where you see the dark green vein down the middle and a few dark veins branching off it with the rest of the leaf very light green and almost yellow. I did not see the leaf curl with my chestnuts you are seeing. That may be a secondary disease issue as a result of the stress.

Thanks,
Looks like IDC with a touch of 2/4D drift from last year,

Pushing that many leaves that are slightly cupped up makes me think a growth regulator herbicide is the main culprit.

But I'm not sure
I just purchased the trees this year. I haven’t sprayed anything around these trees yet.

I have 4 others seedlings I planted at the same time all doing great and all planted with 25’ of this one.

Guarantees I have read indicate that trees will leaf out. I don’t recall what they say about something like this. I will reach out tomorrow to see if this tree does not make it if it will be replaced

Herbicide can carry over

Little update.

I applied some 10/10/10. My Hewes seems to be responding. Still kind of funky but I’m seeing much better color. Just a seedling but I even have some crabs growing.

I gotta go remove those tomorrow but great to see this young buck pushing out fruit.

Thanks to those that chimes in with advice.

562E84CC-B416-4F77-8FB4-65C3B9DE04CA.jpeg
FC6DA5F2-0459-4752-82EA-A78E97972E98.jpeg

Does Hewes Crab tend to hold or drop apples?

Does Hewes Crab tend to hold or drop apples?
I’m interested in that answer as well. My only experience is that they drop right after I cut the stem this weekend.

Mine mostly dropped by end of September last year but it was the first year fruiting.
Beautiful tree. I think the drooping branches have a bit of a majestic form. It looked great in full bloom last week.