All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Herbicide drift?

Barndog56

5 year old buck +
My trees that were leafed out first show some damage on the first leaves, while the new leaves on those trees look fine, and trees that leafed out later show no damage at all. Did I get some drift from a nearby spraying? If so, will they survive it?

If that's not it, what could it be? No frosts due to the late warmup.
20180524_082254.jpg
20180524_082238.jpg
20180524_081750.jpg

It looks like spray drift, doesn’t look real bad from pics. May set the tree back some this year though.
I had same with a couple nice Dunstans in my shrub strips but way harder, don’t think they are going to be able to shake it off.

Yeah, i had to search for the worst looking leaves to get pics that would show it very well.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

It does look like drift damage. I depends on what you were spraying. If it was a 2-4-d based chemical then thats probably drift damage. Usually if its drift the upwind side of the tree would be worse than the downwind side. If both sides are the same it may be taking it up from the roots if you sprayed within the dripline of the trees.

I know the gut wrenching feeling. I hate to even show these.

I let the wind drift gly into 2 liberties last year.

Branches were turning black so I had to prune them pretty hard. I don’t know if they are going to make it. Time will tell.

I may just replace this winter with 2 new ones 4DF948AE-8799-408F-B09B-B3D3DE99A9E2.jpeg3D806735-985C-4A56-838D-63F6262ED6D1.jpeg

You may be surprised^^^^^
I know that I am,continually
"Life will find a way"........said Dr Ian Malcolm......

bill

Roundup burn from many years back.
7a194f02b05730d327c7d86c5d116cc7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should I hold out any hope that these trees will survive?

Granny Smith
20180730_084602.jpg

Bartlett Pear
20180730_084729.jpg

Toka Plum
20180730_084644.jpg

I hit mine pretty hard a few years ago, before I realized how easy the drift will hurt the trees. I trimmed them back, and now you couldnt even tell they had a problem at all.

I would let them be for now, you will know for sure next spring. If they leaf out next spring they will likely pull through fine. Repeated exposure definitely weakens the tree and can definitely kill them. My farming neighbor has had drift hit my ornamental pear in my front yard almost yearly and somehow it hasnt died, though it certainly doesnt look well.

Let me preface what I am about to say by this, I come from a farm family, my family has farmed since 1870. My family still farms. I understand the value of agriculture and that in some states, like mine, Ag makes up a huge portion of income for a lot of families. Now...... I am freaking fed up with the lack of interest and concern shown by today's farmers towards anyone who doesnt farm exactly like them and grow the same crops as they do. Herbicide drift has cost me money and will likely cost me money in the future (working towards reducing that odds). Around here you will be pretty much black balled if you complain about a farmer. Yet they damage other folk's property with drift and think nothing of it. They have created a nightmare with weed control as they have created a few different weeds that are now resistant to the more user "friendly" herbicides, because of improper usage in the past. The only option is to genetically modify crops so that they can spray harsher and harsher herbicides and yet not kill their crop. Sadly the rest of us pay the cost as these harsher herbicides drift affecting our crops, trees and plantings more and more. I filed a complaint against one of my neighboring farmers this year as he has repeatedly sprayed when wind conditions are not favorable for me. I am listed on the DriftWatch Program so if he had done his due diligence he would know not to spray when conditions are likely to cause drift towards me. Our state Ag inspectors told me when I filed my complaint that last year they had 2 inspectors for the entire frickin state of Nebraska, and they were back logged a solid 6 months. Not sure if the crop growing associations such as corn and soybeans have lobbied to reduce funding for those inspection programs. Since those inspectors probably have a negative impact on their members.

I know my attitude towards using herbicides has definitely changed over the last few years. I try and rely less and less on post emergence applications and more on pre-emergent as it has a lot less negative effects on other things.

Rant over.

I had 8 three year old chestnuts wiped out by the utility crew that came through spraying their ROW. My trees were 50 yards away in an orchard I am starting. Nothing else seemed to be effected though. I surmise that chestnuts are a lot mote sensitive.

So, my trees in those pics above leafed out again in August after having lost nearly all leaves at the end of July. They looked pretty good when the fall frost came around. All have come back strong this spring, but of course there were no blooms.

Honeycrisp
20190603_083052.jpg

Pear - Bartlett or Kieffer
20190603_083246.jpg