Help me pick some trees to finish off orchard

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
Well like many of you guys I am already planning for next years tree planting. I have room for 5 more trees in this orchard. Wanted everyone’s input on what they would add to finish it off. Kind of leaning toward crabs but open to any of your guys fav trees. This orchard that sits on a nice south facing hillside just above my 2 acre clover field. These last 5 trees will be on the high side of the orchard as the diagram shows.
So let’s hear your suggestions!
7ED9A57A-66ED-4A22-B8A1-E8C4D59F1BEA.jpeg

PS I put a lot of stake in Arkansas black lol

Well like many of you guys I am already planning for next years tree planting. I have room for 5 more trees in this orchard. Wanted everyone’s input on what they would add to finish it off. Kind of leaning toward crabs but open to any of your guys fav trees. This orchard that sits on a nice south facing hillside just above my 2 acre clover field. These last 5 trees will be on the high side of the orchard as the diagram shows.
So let’s hear your suggestions!
View attachment 18156

You have to tell us what the trees are for. Cider? Deer? Best eating apples?

What do you want from them? Early eaters? Cider apples? Late hangers?

Red, yellow, green?

I'm just going to make some suggestions for some highly disease resistant apples that I see you don't already have but have done well for me. I'm making the assumption that you want apples for no specific purpose - just mainly eating and spread out over time for ripening dates.

Black Limbertwig
Priscilla
Betsy Deaton (can show some CAR, but never a bad problem)
Bevan's Favorite
Dozier Crabapple

You have to tell us what the trees are for. Cider? Deer? Best eating apples?
Primarily for feeding deer with an occasional snack to an from the deer stand. Have never made cider but could see myself getting into making a lil hard cider down the road

I'm just going to make some suggestions for some highly disease resistant apples that I see you don't already have but have done well for me. I'm making the assumption that you want apples for no specific purpose - just mainly eating and spread out over time for ripening dates.

Black Limbertwig
Priscilla
Betsy Deaton (can show some CAR, but never a bad problem)
Bevan's Favorite
Dozier Crabapple
Thanks Steve
I remember seeing pics of your black limbertwig. That’s def gonna make the list!
I attempted to graft a dozier crab couple yrs ago an was very disappointed when it didn’t take. I will just order these “last” 5 trees. Hopefully Chris/TurkeyCreek grafted a dozier or a limbertwig that i can snatch up

I'd go with another Enterprise or 2 personally. Maybe a Kerr crab. Freedom? It seems really solid but maybe doesn't get a ton of love.

Goldrush
Galarina
Wickson crab
Zestar!
Honey crisp

I second silver_yummies' suggestions. I'd probably substitute a Kerr crab apple in place of the Zestar, but these are all good choices. I'm a fan of the Arkansas Blacks myself, but I think ya got enough already, looks good!

For apples I would look at wildlife specific crabs seeing what you have so far.
Gotta say I would vote for pears myself, Keiffer Moonglow Olympic some of the late hangers from Wildlife Group but that’s me....

For apples I would look at wildlife specific crabs seeing what you have so far.
Gotta say I would vote for pears myself, Keiffer Moonglow Olympic some of the late hangers from Wildlife Group but that’s me....
I was thinking crabs as well. Just in case these edible apples don’t fare so well. They are planted right with cages and weed mats etc.. but def slowing going process than say a chestnut. I have an 8 tree pear plot just 40 yards from this apple orchard with Kiefer, senator clark, ms laneene, an moonglow pears.
I could plant 5 Asian pears above these apples. Maybe 3 olympics an 2 housi... hmmm decisions decisions

Galarina
Goldrush
Liberty
Freedom
Crimson crisp or a Kerr crab

I would select crabs with a long period of drop/ ripening to cover many months.

A Minnesota list would be Norland, Whitney another chestnut, you have dolgo, Kerr, and Wickson. If strictly for the Deer, ask TC if he has Big Dog from me which is probably Colombia. Firecracker is a nice crab for people !

Kerr still has apples on my place.
e090fcd3a4e15ed35855ca4daa5ac3c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gold rush
Kerr

Kindercrisp without a doubt, once again Kindercrisp

Darn I'm late to this party. :emoji_rolling_eyes: Everyone needs to plant a Limbertwig, or two, or three. :emoji_sunglasses: A Shafer crab would look nice in there too.

Kindercrisp without a doubt, once again Kindercrisp

They have grown fast for me on dolgo rootstock and there have not been many disease issues. I should have fruit in a year or two.

When and how long is drop/ripening time?

I have tried them twice from the orchard where they were developed and they taste great.

How are they in cider? Blend or straight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk