Helicopter spraying at my farm today.

Just fyi my prioperty has. 2-300 foot elevation changes all over it. It’s the main reason we used a helicopter because can’t be done with skid sprayer.

After talking with my forester about the possibility of helicopter spraying in the bluffs of SW WI, he didn't think it was a practice that is feasible due to thermals and the flight style required of the helicopter. These are ~250' bluffs in total elevation change, does anyone have an opinion on this? He also wasn't sure that cost share would cover this option, which seems ridiculous to me.
I would talk with the spraying company directly. Foresters are often set in their ways and so what’s always been done. Also might not have a kickback negotiated with the helicopter company.

A backpack crew with migrant workers was gonna be 55/acre and take over a week.

All prices I’ve quoted did not include herbicide price.

After talking with my forester about the possibility of helicopter spraying in the bluffs of SW WI, he didn't think it was a practice that is feasible due to thermals and the flight style required of the helicopter. These are ~250' bluffs in total elevation change, does anyone have an opinion on this? He also wasn't sure that cost share would cover this option, which seems ridiculous to me.

Mine was 56.50 per acre including herbicide, that was November 2020.

a43d5d3c3c98cf0f91418e62b2ff3234.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booner, how quickly is it coming back? Gotta imagine it'll dominate once again, but maybe not for 20+ yrs?

Cool story. He turned just like you describe!

I’ve been on a few helicopters. I don’t like the feeling!
Agreed, it is a cool story, and reminded me of my asking to ride when they were spraying, but NOT having the positive outcome. Your motorcycle helmet solution reminds me of Jack Nicholson In Easy Rider.

All of my helicopter time ended up courtesy of Uncle Sam.

My drone spraying was a lot more expensive than that - but I only had ten acres sprayed

This thread intrigues me, I spot spray with much caution outside of killing Knotweed. Y'all are like, hold my beer lol I am familiar with using planes to spray fields etc. but hosing down 100 forested acres seems strange to me.

Do you guys go out and cover everything you have planted prior to the helicopter spraying? Any concerns about wildlife breathing or ingesting what you are spraying?

This thread intrigues me, I spot spray with much caution outside of killing Knotweed. Y'all are like, hold my beer lol I am familiar with using planes to spray fields etc. but hosing down 100 forested acres seems strange to me.

Do you guys go out and cover everything you have planted prior to the helicopter spraying? Any concerns about wildlife breathing or ingesting what you are spraying?
I burn yearly so I don’t plant anything that’s too sensitive. Different climates are so different. Most of what I spray and burn is to kill oaks. Ha.

Bush honeysuckle greens up before everything and stays green after all natives have gone dormant. Hard to kill much with gly in late October or early November.

Bush honeysuckle greens up before everything and stays green after all natives have gone dormant. Hard to kill much with gly in late October or early November.

Yes it is very seasonal timing specific they do it after everything else has gone dormant. It will eventually come back but I am starting my property on a burn rotation to limit its return. On year three I noticed a few green plants I plan to burn this coming spring. I did burn half of of it this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own 62 acres bordered on two sides by row crop. They aerial spray every spring. Not sure what concoction - but it burns it down. They get some on the trees along the property borders. Sometimes they look pretty bad - but always come back. Never had any drift. The run off from the field comes through one of my ponds. Never seen a dead fish. Neighbor traps and eats crawfish out of pond. This has been going on for 25 years.