Hawggardville

That's a pretty cool set-up. I guess the bottle acts as a " greenhouse " of sorts ?? This plan sounds good too. ^^^^^ Nice use of " waste products ".

That's a pretty cool set-up. I guess the bottle acts as a " greenhouse " of sorts ?? This plan sounds good too. ^^^^^ Nice use of " waste products ".
I did something kind of like this a few years back.
I planted them in coke bottles and once they were up good I cut out the bottom and planted bottle and all.
I had some that I felt may have got to dry that way, the seedling being isolated in the bottle so I added the cuts to the part I buried this year.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Up at the farm today, planted my last 2 apples and 2 pears then started back direct seeding my accf chestnuts. Tried to get creative by cutting out large cedar trees and planting chestnuts in the openings.
While I was searching out good places I found these at the bottom of a pretty steep ridge.
One is an old well, still has the pump pipe in place and the valve even worked. The other is right over the spring.
Anyone know what this is?
My guess is it was used to keep things cool in the days before refrigeration, but it's just my guess.
I suggested to neahawg that we take off the top and make this a place to cool off after a hot day!
He wasn't nearly as enthusiastic.
619580820edefe7e975aa245f286b730.jpg
<br /><br />Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Merle, my guess is that it's what we would call an old time spring house around here. You can tell that it had a door, because you can still see the latch. People used to do things like that at a spring used for drinking water. Blocking up the walls kept dirt from caving in the spring and made it easy to clean out. The roof kept leaves and debris out. The door kept critters out but gave access to the people. Also they would usually dig down a little to where the water would pool so that you could dip it out or even put in pipes for gravity flow or a pump.

That's pretty cool. It looks like the old spring houses I used to see in the PA mountains. Somehow,the old timers found an under ground spring, dug down to them and put a shack over them. Ground filtered spring water.

I'd say it was a water source for a nearby dwelling or and still sight.

That has got to be what it is. There was an old house at the top of the hill and there were no hook ups for water at all.
Maybe the pump house was built later.
It had a cover, but it's blown off and what's left is laying by it.

We have an old spring house that is now just a few concrete blocks. When I was kid, we used it a few times for buckets of water when the power was out or for cooling down a watermelon for a summer picnic.

There is a spring on my place that will run a 6 inch pipe of water during the worst drought times. I grew up drinking that water and it didn't kill me (yet).

My grandfather set the milk cans in that spring while waiting for the milk truck to come pick them up.

I have a Creek that runs year round through the middle of the old horse pasture. This spring and at least one more are the source for it.
I'd walked to the other spring, but never walked up on this one till today.
Here's the old pump house. They must have built it when they got electricity.
20170209_152648.jpeg

Think about the kids that Mom sent down that hill to fetch a pale. We live in a whole new and different world.

The house was their safe space. :)

Think about the kids that Mom sent down that hill to fetch a pale. We live in a whole new and different world.

The house was their safe space. :)
If it could talk I bet there would be a lot of stories about cold mornings before school now that you've mentioned that!

There is a spring on my place that will run a 6 inch pipe of water during the worst drought times. I grew up drinking that water and it didn't kill me (yet).

My grandfather set the milk cans in that spring while waiting for the milk truck to come pick them up.

Around these parts there are quite a few artesian wells on properties as you get nearer to the river and away from low ridges which are typically limestone if you dig down far enough which have cracks and fissures.

Gramps did the same thing on the farm as above, he built a milkhouse around the well and put in a small cement pool to store the milk cans waiting for pick up. Guess things changed though and sometime when Mom was in high school it stopped flowing naturally after flowing for many years prior.

Around these parts there are quite a few artesian wells on properties as you get nearer to the river and away from low ridges which are typically limestone if you dig down far enough which have cracks and fissures.

Gramps did the same thing on the farm as above, he built a milkhouse around the well and put in a small cement pool to store the milk cans waiting for pick up. Guess things changed though and sometime when Mom was in high school it stopped flowing naturally after flowing for many years prior.

I've never seen that happen, but I guess it could if something underground shifted and changed the flow.

While not a spring, I knew of something like that happening.
My wife's grandparents lived in an old house in the hills of Tennessee near Pegram with no running water or bathroom for that matter till the early 80's when they got a trailer to replace the old house.
He had a well put in and while it was great they didn't have to collect rain water anymore it was sulfer water.
I can vividly remember the whole trailer smelling like, for lack of a better description, an egg fart.
Then in the 90's it changed and was just plain water. Her grandpaw said it must have been an earthquake had changed it, but all I knew was the coffee improved.

The old farm where my Dad's family lived in the northern Pa. mountains had a spring-house like that. It was a small wooden shed with a latching door and shingle roof. They built it over a spring and had a ring of flat stones all around the inside perimeter under the water. Dad said they used to keep milk and butter cold by putting the cans on those flat rocks so the cold water would keep them from spoiling. At family reunions, watermelons were made cold by placing them in that spring-house. In summer, a trip to the spring-house was cause for keeping a sharp eye out for rattlesnakes around the stone base of the spring-house !! It was about 80 yards away from the farm house. Getting water in winter with knee-deep snow must have been a real treat !!

Thanks for posting the pix !! Good memories.

I had a friend of mine come over with his tractor and cutter to help work on an old pasture that had grown up. I used a chainsaw to cut anything to big for the cutter. I bet the turkeys will be bugging it soon.20170314_162347.jpg

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

With the forcast calling for lows in the low 20's this week I doubt we'll have any plums. Every thicket is already bloomed out.20170314_162100.jpg

Sandhill plums are tough.I can't think of a year I didn't have some make it.I have planted around 3000 of them and they are from 8 years old down to 2 years.Good luck.It's almost that cold here at night and then up to 80 this weekend

Sandhill plums are tough.I can't think of a year I didn't have some make it.I have planted around 3000 of them and they are from 8 years old down to 2 years.Good luck.It's almost that cold here at night and then up to 80 this weekend
I hope so. I've got several pears in full bloom as well plus one apple tree.