All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardy apples for Canada

sandbur

5 year old buck +
In their zone 2 and 3, which are rated slightly differently than our zones.

A Facebook group is discussing this. Mentioned are Kerr, Frostbite, Breakey, Goodland, Trailman, Norland, And Kinderkrisp.

I asked about chestnut and it has been hardy for some of them. September Ruby and Prairie Sensation might be hard to find south of the border.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of all the varieties I have planted(many) only Kerr, Frostbite, and Dolgo have been fool proof. The other I have high hopes for ( I have three on second leaf) is the Redfield apple. They came through their first winter with no damage and have really taken off this year. They have a chance to be my new favorite tree. Cool tree too, red leaves and reddish bark. It is listed as a crab with large fruit so not sure what to expect on fruit size.

I left one redfield on my 3rd leaf tree last year, it was pretty decent size. Agree on the colors, beautiful tree and blooms are really nice as well.

Anaros (Crab)

Picked the apple well before it was ripe but still some red flesh

Attachments

• IMG_3149.JPG
    IMG_3149.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3311.JPG
    IMG_3311.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2699.JPG
    IMG_2699.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 13
Anaros (Crab)

Anaros on dolgo has been a slow grower for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an Anaros I planted at the farm this spring. Grafted in 2015 to B.118 and it was 7'.

I have not been happy with Dolgo as a rootstock. I got a NG from Baily's years ago and that tree is absolutely a runt.

Picked the apple well before it was ripe but still some red flesh
Thanks for posting. I would hardly call that a crab.

NE PA QDM - How was the Redfield for an eater ??

Any chance u care to expand on your thoughts using dolgo as a rootstock?

crazyed, is it just certain varieties you are finding does not cope well with dolgo, or most?

sandbur, know you have planted quite a few in the past on dolgo, happy with their progress?

Bailys is a primary fruit tree nursery in my region. Know they have used it an still use it some for what they call "standard" rootstock.

Have 5 types an 12 trees in the ground with that root stock, cant say i really see a difference in growth between them. An so far am pleased with their performance.

Last edited:
NE PA QDM - How was the Redfield for an eater ??
I wondered how you ate half the apple! That won’t be ripe for another month and a half and even then it says cider or baking apple.

I wondered how you ate half the apple! That won’t be ripe for another month and a half and even then it says cider or baking apple.
Yeah I knew full well it was gonna be bad but I still HAD to know what it tasted like!!!! And I think the chunk missing got spit back out. : )