Habitat Happening: Live Blog!

The rush of seeing it work and be used is the trophy. I love this stuff. It'll be fun to see what becomes of those pumpkins. We may have to kick a few open to introduce them to it.

Sent from my mobile land management office.

Chris and Marvin-I am very impressed with what you guys have accomplished in the north woods. My feeble attempts in the same dmu do not compare to your works.

If you break pumpkins open, some game wardens might consider it baiting since it is not normal agricultural procedures.

Very nice work SD! Love the time line series.

Looks like you have things working real well SD.

Chris and Marvin-I am very impressed with what you guys have accomplished in the north woods. My feeble attempts in the same dmu do not compare to your works.

If you break pumpkins open, some game wardens might consider it baiting since it is not normal agricultural procedures.
That's a good catch. I forgot those pumpkins are going to easily stick out to the eye in the sky. I wonder if the DNR won't put a pin in the map once they can see them from the sky?

Nice job SD. Love seeing twin fawns in photos. In 6 years that we've owned our land we've only had one pIr make it thru to fall due to predators.

Do you have any plans to oversees winter rye this fall in where the pumpkins are? Once those leaves dieback there'd by an area where you could provide more feed.
I'm not sure. I'd say probably not, just because neither one of us may be up again for a few weeks at least. It's a good idea, but we ran outta seed and I haven't been past Brookings again to pick any more up.

It looks like Marvin does most of the work while the other brother sits in SD and waits to get sent pictures.

These two pics are from roughly the same vantage point. These are about 7 days apart. This is the bombed out overbrowsed soybean plot you've been seeing all summer. It was overseeded with a brassica blend and rye.

1st
View attachment 7110

2nd
View attachment 7111

Boy that plot looks good. I thought you were making fun of your brother for wanting to plant beans alone and then come back later in the year and interseed it?? Sure looks like it worked to perfection.

Plots look REAL good SD !! Those turnips & radishes are kicking butt. Beans look like the deer can't get enough of them either. I was gonna ask what the pumpkins were for. Didn't know deer ate them. I guess if you tried to carry / lift a couple and your hands lost their grip, and they accidently crashed to the ground - deer may come over and sniff them out. Or bears could raid the pumpkin patch and leave some all smashed up, too. ;)

Good to see all the deer hitting your plots. Keep the young ones coming - good sign.

Mecca in the north woods.

It looks like Marvin does most of the work while the other brother sits in SD and waits to get sent pictures.
Yeah, he's starting to pull his weight.

Boy that plot looks good. I thought you were making fun of your brother for wanting to plant beans alone and then come back later in the year and interseed it?? Sure looks like it worked to perfection.
There's a funny story there. I had mentioned that the beans would likely not be able to get ahead of the browsing. Knowing if we kept the weeds under control we could come back and seed over it anyway. The funny part is how he moaned because the soil was baking in the sun all summer. Couldn't get him to mix anything in with the beans. Anyway, he's got a top shelf agronomist on his team that got the soil chemistry pretty well dialed in and salvaged it going into fall. :D

There's a funny story there. I had mentioned that the beans would likely not be able to get ahead of the browsing. Knowing if we kept the weeds under control we could come back and seed over it anyway. The funny part is how he moaned because the soil was baking in the sun all summer. Couldn't get him to mix anything in with the beans. Anyway, he's got a top shelf agronomist on his team that got the soil chemistry pretty well dialed in and salvaged it going into fall. :D
For hire?

Well the agronomist is me, and I'm not certified or even work in the biz. I keep telling my brother he's got one hell of an agronomist because he likes to butt heads with me on soil strategy. I'm a testing and precision guy. He's not a fan of either. The best part is arguing about why the plots look so good this year. God forbid we just be thankful it worked. o_O

Well the agronomist is me, and I'm not certified or even work in the biz. I keep telling my brother he's got one hell of an agronomist because he likes to butt heads with me on soil strategy. I'm a testing and precision guy. He's not a fan of either. The best part is arguing about why the plots look so good this year. God forbid we just be thankful it worked. o_O

Is this your idea of precision?

IMG_2891.JPG

Because you got timely rains ;)

Bingo!!

Soil testing in 300-1000 sq ft grids is a worthless waste of time, especially when you already know that on your 40 your soil ph is roughly 6.4-6.8 with 4% or better OM. And anything that is above 2% could never EVER be considered "sandy soil." And that K levels are ok, but that plants will happily respond to increased K applications. Or that measuring seed out to the gram only to spread it on top of the ground into heavy trash and weed filled ground does not work.

But some people need to complicate it so god damn far and get down to excruciatingly stupid minutiae that its really mind boggling and waste some serious time while real work that REALLY matters could be getting done.

Good timely rains and a good seed bed will fix lots of problems that something you read online will NEVER fix.

Update time:

There is a sharp contrast between where we limed the clover trail and where we didn't.

6f97766e7e4c2e92122ed3fa6ac577fc.jpg

6378df0e9720385e50741a64f388131f.jpg

This brassica plot looks really good from far away, but it looks like it petered out of nitrogen. We're going to try split applying next year.
29d4012bb95af6bab33a0f154665eee6.jpg

104f37b3f3372840b63aaa605af5378f.jpg

This is the view from ten feet above our cover corridor area. We hinged what u see in front of the plot and filled this in with black spruce.
5d2175c73ad6f7b25539d8569a86151a.jpg

Here's a shot of our bean/then brassica plot from opposite the cam angle.
5aff2b347fe264b842e0e147146dce3c.jpg

This is the other end of the bean then brassica plot. The area that had beans under it doesn't seem to be showing any nitrogen shortage. This was taller and greener than the rest that had proper prep work done at planting. Even more interesting is that the beans weren't inoculated. We figured we weren't getting much nodulation at all. Maybe we did.
42879911c415dd980a8916d1561f5648.jpg

Pumpkins look like they have finished up. I was a little bummed about the size, but we've got some room to get the fertility right next year. Good news is we found out it can be done. Next year we go large scale.
e8e8c14a9a3525316fb173448501c58a.jpg

I flung a fist full of RR corn into the beans before we worked them in. We got a cob. In talks to add a small blend of corn into the beans next year.
ded12c22e467ea45934c912bfe2c9ebf.jpg

The regulators are back. It's looking like these guys got one of the fawns. We haven't seen the four together in a while now.
MFDC1213.JPG

Feedback
MFDC1159.JPG