All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gun Talk

S.T.Fanatic

5 year old buck +
With all of this gun talk I think I'm going to add one to the cabinet. It is only a matter of time before MN allows straight walled rifle hunting in the shotgun zone. I want to try to get ahead of the game. The gun I have been looking into is a marlin 1895 sbl in 45-70 I want one bad! If the bill never passes it will be a cool gun. I don't have any leavers and that would be a nice gun to have.

Talk me into/out of it.

Don't think the 45-70 is allowed in IL. Case length to long. Have a friend who wants one bad. But we're also limited to one shot for now.

Don't think the 45-70 is allowed in IL. Case length to long. Have a friend who wants one bad. But we're also limited to one shot for now.
I believe that may end up being the case here as well but I still want one bad.

Is the 450 bushmaster allowed?

I almost bought a 45-70 when I got my first bear tag. I bumped it back to the wish list and off the shopping list.

Both of those are allowed in IL. What isn't allowed is the lever. They have to be a single shot, or made to be a single shot, such as a bolt with a removable magazine. I did plenty of looking mostly between the 45-70, 444 and 450. Settled on the 450 being the best.

I had a Remlin SBL…..it was very accurate. The extra weight of the laminate stocks help with recoil. The glove loop/ big loop on a pistol grip is really nice for recoil.
If you get one, check, out Jim Brockman rifles gooding Idaho.

I have a Remlin CB with the shorter barrel. I had Brockman put on a recoil pad, and make a glove loop. I haven’t really worked it up yet.

I seem to shoot pistol grips better…..but I can’t seem to keep them.

I hunt with a 45-70 in Ohio sometimes. I love it. We were shotgun only most of my life, so I'm used to a big slow unstoppable wrecking-ball of a bullet making a huge hole clear through the deer, and leaving a good blood trail which I rarely even need. I love my 308, but that 45-70 is hard to beat for still hunting deer. I'm looking forward to using it on hogs and bears.

Big and slow is the way 2 go.

If the range you know, and wanna eat 2 the hole.