All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ground-nesting bees

Red

5 year old buck +
I have a 3 year old apple tree that was looking pretty tough coming out of winter. It wilted and died early this summer. I was mulching other trees this weekend and noticed there are ground nesting bees at the base of the dead tree. (Yes, I noticed because I got stung)
My question, could there be a link? Is there a chance that the activity of the bees nesting at the base of the tree killed it or is it just a coincidence?

I've also found ground wasp nests while tending to my fruit trees and they are horrible little bastards. I've had them in my yard, fields and apple orchard but they haven't caused damage to any trees.

Im going to guess and say they moved into hole/tunnels made by mice, moles or voles around the trees roots - void spaces from planting maybe?? ... If they are there its because they had a place to move into and take up residence. Again, just a guess but I would be willing to bet on it and say the ground hornets being there is secondary to some furry little critter being there first which likely got into (munch munch) the roots or at least created air pockets around the roots which stressed the tree... the beeezzzzz's just happen to be there to sting you not kill the tree.

Im going to guess and say they moved into hole/tunnels made by mice, moles or voles around the trees roots - void spaces from planting maybe?? ... If they are there its because they had a place to move into and take up residence. Again, just a guess but I would be willing to bet on it and say the ground hornets being there is secondary to some furry little critter being there first which likely got into (munch munch) the roots or at least created air pockets around the roots which stressed the tree... the beeezzzzz's just happen to be there to sting you not kill the tree.
Good point- I think all of the ground wasp nests I saw on my land were in old gopher or mole holes now that you mention that.

We get what we call yellow jackets here. My guess is they're drawn to the apples that fall and rot and end up nesting there. Nasty little things. I was moving limbs from a tree we were cutting down last September and got stung 23 times. I was pretty sick the next day and uncomfortable for a week.

I have some very fond memories of a time I took a knee to prune a small tree and started to get stung by hornets randomly flying into me as I knelt there - being a bit perplexed as to why because they were coming from different directions - I stood up to survey my situation only to discover the truth of the problem... my left knee was on the nest hole - having freed the little winged devils of their entrapment they spilled out in mass - they were a bit grumpy and being the first thing they found after coming out, I got stung about a dozen times and I fled leaving my tools at the base of the tree.... they tend to chase you a bit and the last sting was all the way out by the truck 50 yards away. Two cans of spray and an hour later I picked up my stuff - never did kill the whole nest off. It had to have been a huge nest - I know I killed a hundred or better with the spray...
ground hornets/ground wasps/yellow jackets call them what ever, all I know is fall is a fun time to be out working with the trees bumping into nests because the bees have got nothing to live for going into the fall/winter and seem to be suicidally aggressive.

Ahhhh, I think you are onto something with the moving into already created holes.
I'll have to pull up the trees and look for damage.

A couple of years ago my chocolate lab either stepped in or stuck her nose in one of their nesting holes. Luckily I was right there and heard her yelp, and saw her hopping around trying to figure out what was getting her. I used my shirt to get as many off her as I could, and then led her the 50 yards down to the river. She jumped right in and swam a quick circle before getting back out. There were still a couple hanging on to her.

I got stung 10 times, and Maya had about 25. Benadryl did the trick for both of us, but I do whatever I can to keep her away from any type of bees now.