All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green giant arborvitae

Weed Wacker

5 year old buck +
I have access to some green giants that are in 7 gallon pots about 4 to 4.5 foot tall for $20 per. I want to establish a road screen and was thinking with the nice weather in the forecast and no frost in the ground, is there any reason why I couldn't or shouldn't plant them now ?

You could plant them but I'm not sure they will make a good screen. Ones I see around here are browsed as high as the deer can reach.

You could plant them but I'm not sure they will make a good screen. Ones I see around here are browsed as high as the deer can reach.
Same thing here. There's a distinct browse line on arbors, yew, hemlock, and white pine.

SW Pa

Same thing here. There's a distinct browse line on arbors, yew, hemlock, and white pine.

SW Pa
That is good to know, I was put under the impression that they are deer resistant. Thanks

I've got Thuja Green Giants and arbor vitae in my yard at home. They hammer the arbor vitae but don't touch the thuja.

They been here about 4 years. And these neighborhood rats eat everything. Funny how in different parts of the country the deer just act different.

That is good to know, I was put under the impression that they are deer resistant. Thanks
You can put those lists of deer resistant plants beside the toilet.
I've seen lists that say arborvitae and hosta aren't eaten. Some varieties are and some are not eaten. I have a few varieties of hosta...all but one variety gets eaten. So, painting an entire species with the same brush is wrong.
And other lists that say brassica are deer candy...some guys can't get deer to eat it. I can't hardly grow brassica because they pound it as it sprouts.
Lists can be misleading.

SW Pa

Not trying to be a Richard, just don't want to confuse

Arbor vitae = thuja occidentalis
Green Giants = thuja plicata x standishii

;)

Now I'm confused. (Doesn't take much)
So there is a Giant green arbor vitae and a giant green thuja? Two separate trees?

Those will be deer candy sooner or later

Going to have to swing by the nursery and find out the trade name on the ones in my yard. Deer would eat them somewhere but they sure don't here.

Now Id like to take one to MO and test it there.

Last edited:
I've got the Giant Emerald Green as privacy strips in my back yard, birds love them.
I think they are in the juniper family so could be bad for apple trees that aren't CAR resistant? If you have apples within a half mile.

I planted some around a field of switchgrass and they did well. I know they make an incredible screen and are more disease resistant than Leyland cypress. You can root them from cuttings if you stick them in a sand box and keep them watered until the next spring.