Grafting Tool

bornagain62511

5 year old buck +
I'm looking for suggestions on a grafting tool, something like in the link below, that makes good clean cuts for spring time grafting apple trees. any suggestions on what works good for you, or which ones to avoid? There are all kinds of brands and options out there. looking for a good quality one but does not have to be top of the line. Thanks
https://www.amazon.com/Migiwata-Pro...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I got a cheap Chinese knock-off that uses the same design as the one in your link. Here is a long thread with lots of input: https://growingfruit.org/t/zenport-generic-labled-grafting-tool/10511. I'm forestandfarm on that thread.

My general thought are these:

The quality of the tool I got was not great. I've had to replace rivets and such with screws. The anvil and such can be a bit harsh on the wood, more so if you push the scion diameter limits. I have not really had this affect the grafts, but a little tape on the anvil protects the wood a little. It takes a little practice to get the scions positioned right so the V is in the center of the scion. It only works well when the diameter of the scion and root stock are well matched. Once you get the hang of it, it is very fast to use.

My grafting success with it was at least as good as when I graft with a knife. I'm not sure if that is a tribute to the tool or a commentary on my lack of grafting ability. In general, I use it when I have scion and rootstock well matched in diameter. Otherwise, I use hand grafting techniques like a Z-graft that allows for miss-matched diameters. It was well worth the little money I paid for it.

Thanks,

Jack

I've got a "grafting tool" similar to the one in the OP's link. I've never used it. I looked at the thing and figured it was easier to just use my $10 Victorinox grafting knife instead.

I use crazy sharp pocket knives also, seems like the old carbon steel ones are easier to sharpen shaving sharp.