Grafting sealant

dawghall

A good 3 year old buck
What works best for you for sealing 2"-3" top cuts on small trees to bark graft with 2 or 3 scions? I've seen the asphalt based tree kote, Doc Farwell's, wax rings and different types of caulk and glues mentioned on my Google research. Any of these or something else work best for you guys sealing fairly large cuts?

I use toilet wax rings with a putty knife. Works great and cheap. Just set it on top of your truck in the sun for a few minutes and it will be the perfect consistency. Also, don’t have the mess that you get with asphalt based tree wound sealers.

One thing I would caution against is Titebond wood glue. It was way too runny and caused issues with graft healing for me. Other glues may work better but Titebond definitely didn’t for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northwest Cider Supply sells grafting seal in pint size containers right now for $10. Looks to be as good as Doc Farwells (maybe it is simply repackaged?) Probably a lifetime of grafting for most of us for $10.

Northwest Cider Supply sells grafting seal in pint size containers right now for $10. Looks to be as good as Doc Farwells (maybe it is simply repackaged?) Probably a lifetime of grafting for most of us for $10.
Looks like it's sold out unfortunately