All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grafting potted trees

Mahindra3016

5 year old buck +
The apple trees that i started from seed last year are potted in 3.5 gallon pots and sank into raised beds for the winter, Do I need to graft these when they start to push leaves, or can i be digging them up and grafting them in the basement now?
thanks
Ben

Is the basement heated?

Either way I would wait for them to show some signs of life before I grafted to them.

You could probably start pulling them in then if you wanted but I doubt you would get any benefit from grafting them at this point more likely I think its more likely to have a negative outcome. If it were me I would be waiting until I thought winter was about over as I pot my bench grafts up and leave them outside day/night.

Ok thanks, Most of the bench grafting on youtube is done with dormant root stock, so that is why i was a little confused about when to do it, I got into grafting last year with top working a few wild apple trees.

Hey Ben

I usually graft at the end of March-1st of April.

Thanks Rick, I guess i'm getting Cabin fever.