Grafting Chestnuts

Here they are in bags on my counter. I have around 15 of each variety to a bag.
I placed a good layer down in each then pushed the nuts into that as I finished with them.
I then covered tops and all with another layer of damp mix.
This is going to be a long 3 to 4 weeks waiting to see how they do.20170212_134038.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks good. Still no visible progress with any of mine.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,
I may kill them yet, but I had about a half inch root growing on the first henryi graft I checked tonight.
I placed it back and may try and pot them later this week while I'm off.

Jack,
I may kill them yet, but I had about a half inch root growing on the first henryi graft I checked tonight.
I placed it back and may try and pot them later this week while I'm off.

With the technique I used putting them in 18s and the 18s in Ziploc bags, I can't really tell if I have root starting on any of them. So far, no green buds.

Thanks,

Jack

Potted them in their own separate peat pots this morning. Only had 3 duds. I have pretty good root growth, a few around 1.5 inches and some buds swelling. I've got them sealed in bags in a south facing window to heat the new peat moss and get the humidity level up in the bags.
Hopefully I'll pull this off.Resized_20170225_095138.jpeg

Where is your scion in this pic?

They're pretty short, half inch or so with just one bud. That picture is looking straight down so it may be hard to see. Maybe it will show up better in this one.Resized_20170225_100333.jpeg

One more. Resized_20170225_100338.jpeg

Very nice!

Thanks Jack!
I had two buds that were swollen, but couldn't tell any of the others were.
I have had the tops and all covered the past 3 weeks though.
My hope is they'll come to life now that they're uncovered.

That's nice! Hopefully that countiues can you tell that the scion has callused up?

That's nice! Hopefully that countiues can you tell that the scion has callused up?
It looked to me they had. I feel like I'll get top growth this week.

I now see at least one graft with a clearly green bud. It is hard to see through the condensation in the bag, but I'm sure of one. There are a couple that I'm fairly certain have failed. Looks like I'll have a better idea of mine in a few weeks.

Thanks,

Jack

Awesome Jack! I'm getting concerned about mine. Several look swollen, but I thought I'd have some top growth by now.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Ya, it certainly is a slow process. I'm guessing I have the humidity too high on some as I see mold. I'm also concerned I did not make the cut for the scion in the right place so it is nourished by both sides of the nut. I really had a hard time identify these. I guess time will tell. My other trees and a recent health issue are keeping me from watching the kettle boil.

Thanks,

Jack

Here is a picture of the one I'm pretty sure is turning green:

5d915fc3-f587-49e5-a6f0-36d6d20b1de4.jpg

The picture is taken through the plastic bag which is why it is fuzzy and has condensation.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the one I'm pretty sure is turning green:

IMG_20170304_184801622Crop_zpscs7ghfns.jpg

The picture is taken through the plastic bag which is why it is fuzzy and has condensation.

Thanks,

Jack
That one shows promise. I have a few swollen, but none looking as if they're ready to take off. That one looks ready to me.

I've got one starting to push out finally. Have several others that are greening up. This is a little hard to see, but maybe it'll show up.

Attachments

• 20170307_181820.jpg
    20170307_181820.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Good for you! So far, I only have that one, but it is very close to leafing out now. I'm at the farm today grafting apples and pears. I did buy some AU Super scions from Cliff this year. I'll graft persimmons and Chestnuts probably around May depending when they leaf out this year.

Thanks,

Jack

Pretty hard to see, but I was afraid to brush off the peat moss for fear I'd also break the bud. It's growing some though.

Last edited: