gowroom Seedlings have odd colored leaves, any suggestions ?

We used grow bags for the experiment. The fluorescent lights had grow bulbs installed although I am not sure of the color temperature right now. We moved the lights as needed to where they were 1-2" above the trees. We also tried to move the trees outside on the weekends for a few hours of wind and sun. He tested your observation above about larger acorns producing larger seedlings. He found that seedling height and caliper were significantly different between larger and smaller sawtooth acorns from the same mother tree.

We used grow bags for the experiment. The fluorescent lights had grow bulbs installed although I am not sure of the color temperature right now. We moved the lights as needed to where they were 1-2" above the trees. We also tried to move the trees outside on the weekends for a few hours of wind and sun. He tested your observation above about larger acorns producing larger seedlings. He found that seedling height and caliper were significantly different between larger and smaller sawtooth acorns from the same mother tree.

Cool experiment for your son!

Yoder, I had a few more questions lol. But I'll ask most of those with pictures lol.
I ask this out of pure ignorance, so forgive me!
Is there any benifit or downside to running them on 24hrs light? My thought was that if there is 12-13 hours of growing sunlight daily... by having them under 24 hour light I'm picking up extra days/weeks of growth or growing time... is this just hot wash or is there some substance to it?

Yoder, I had a few more questions lol. But I'll ask most of those with pictures lol.
I ask this out of pure ignorance, so forgive me!
Is there any benifit or downside to running them on 24hrs light? My thought was that if there is 12-13 hours of growing sunlight daily... by having them under 24 hour light I'm picking up extra days/weeks of growth or growing time... is this just hot wash or is there some substance to it?

Duration plays a role, but trees need a rest period. Indoor lights are lower intensity than natural sunlight during the growing season. We make up for that in 2 ways. We place the lights as close to the trees as possible without heat from the light negatively impacting the tree. For fluorescent shop lights 2"-3" is a good target. The second way is to increase duration. KSU did a study looking at "day length" for growing pawpaw trees under lights. I believe 15 hour days were recommended. I've used that day length for all my trees regardless of species and it has worked well. 24 hours is too much. Things change in plants in terms of nutrient movement and such at night and transpiration changes. They do need a period of night.

Thanks,

Jack