Got me a 3 legged deer!

j-bird

I shot me a decent buck tonight... but the most interesting thing is that he had/has only 3 1/2 legs! I noticed he was limping and he met the harvest guidelines for my place so I got him at 20 yards with the crossbow... The rage 2 blade crossbow head did a great job... Deer went maybe 50 yards tops.
buck4.jpg

Clean 8 points....will be in the 120 range. I don't have a weight yet...
buck3.jpg
His rear lower leg is missing, yet it seems to not be from a recent wound. The end actually seems to have almost like a bit of a hoof on it. I figured it was a recent accident when I decided to shoot.
buck nub.jpg

I normally frown upon "bloody" pics, but I was VERY impressed with the rage... I apologize if this upsets some, but the broadhead did a wonderful job... and many times folks want "proof"... He bolted after the shot and there was a profuse blood trail...I saw him go down. IF those sorts of pics bother you please - skip the photo below.
rage.jpg

Congrats J!!!!
Glad to see the habitat-talk OG’s putting bucks down this year! :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_sunglasses:
Apologizing for bloody pics!? I thought you were more primal than that ;)

Congrats J-bird!!
Hmmm, based on those pics I'm saying someone hit him in the knee with a rage last year...:emoji_astonished:

Or one of the neighbor kids hit him with a motorcycle!

Congrats!

Congrats J!!!!
Glad to see the habitat-talk OG’s putting bucks down this year! :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_sunglasses:
Apologizing for bloody pics!? I thought you were more primal than that ;)
I try not to encourage the "knuckle dragging" hunter image... I realize it can be a fact of what we do...but not everyone wants to see that.

Congrats J-bird!!
Hmmm, based on those pics I'm saying someone hit him in the knee with a rage last year...:emoji_astonished:

Or one of the neighbor kids hit him with a motorcycle!

Aren't you a funny guy! The wound is not recent. The odd thing is that the end of it has a "pad" on it similar to a dogs pad and isn't entirely covered in hair.

AWESOME! Huge congrats fellow Hoosier!!!! Too cool!

Aren't you a funny guy! The wound is not recent. The odd thing is that the end of it has a "pad" on it similar to a dogs pad and isn't entirely covered in hair.

Probably from laying down and using it to get up. Kinda built up a pad.

I shot a doe like that one time. She was actually dropping down and walking on it which I assumed caused the lack of hair and appearance of a pad.

Not sure...just isn't something I have ever seen in person before and makes it a little more memorable. As much as I hate to say it ....so many are a blur anymore... I'll remember this one for a while.

congrats man!

I don't think it was a bad picture. I think people get caught up in the romanticizing of hunting and forget that what we're doing is putting a sharp pointy stick thru the vitals of an animal. I want it to be quick and effective. Good to see that it was. congrats again man!

Cool deer. I had a few years of trail cam pictures of the same buck, he was also 3 1/2 legged. Coyotes eventually got him before I figured he wasnt going to grow a larger rack.

Jbird, congratulations on a really cool buck! And got him during archery season to boot.

Nice buck J-bird! Hes a CHUNK!