All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gopher Cage

SmallChunk

5 year old buck +
IMG_3376.JPG Has anybody here tried this with success? I have lost three trees from Cummings from these bastards and I can tell they have affected a few of the trees I have grafted too. Do you think it would hinder a B118 trees roots later in life? I think I would make the cage bigger than shown here. I trap/poison the suckers, but I'm just not there enough to catch them every time. Should there be a bottom to it too? Thoughts?

I read a study some time back, caging such as that was ineffective over the long term at preventing gophers from gaining access to the enclosure. I would have serious concerns over the wire girdling roots as well.

I add some of the strychnine gopher bait to the outer edge of my planting hole. I hope it makes a difference.