Goldrush

Jhoss

5 year old buck +
This Goldrush (planted 2010) got away from me this year. The top half got no thinning (ladder issues) it didn't get picked either. The bottom half did. Heavy fruit load got it to leaning. A sunken post and a couple of ratchet straps fixed that. I'm going to see how long the apples hold on this winter. IMG_0812.JPG

Oh yeah, 1 Sundance still hang in'. All for now.IMG_0816.JPG

I cant believe a buck hasnt turned that apple tree into a rubbing post. Looks like it must not be an issue thus far as I see other unprotected trees.

I cant believe a buck hasnt turned that apple tree into a rubbing post. Looks like it must not be an issue thus far as I see other unprotected trees.

Thats the first thing i thought when i saw it, lots of hard work down the drain of that happens.

Trees looks in good shape though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep - I think I'd put a concrete mesh cage around them. Trees are too nice to let bucks de-bark them.

We have a couple Goldrush trees at camp. Apples are REALLY good eaters - tart / sweet / spicy, and crispy. I have another one ordered for this spring. They're very late apples and are supposed to be THE longest-keeping apple out there. I just bought a 1/2 peck at a local farm market. :) Attacking those already !!

Great looking trees, Jhoss. Deer must like them too - plenty of tracks coming to your trees. Thanks for the pix !!

I was thinking about the same thing concerning the unprotected trees. Man I would cage that nice tree soon.

If my Goldrush does anything like that, I'm going to be a happy camper. Mine was planted spring 2014.

Besides cedar apple rust, goldrush has been a great tree for me. My goldrush tree held well into februrary and mid march. Here is a pic from feb 20th.

pH5bo_ubs698VJWir1KTNsbcA0ooEF5i8a8x9wQ47HnkfrH8adxiTBa66-7LOtFx2TCS_5NLmSCR649NYr6xxyux7kcfAoNDvqpbhOnMpVu9WWZ9FL5azxgp8q88AZQ-l36eIwYtxMII4WGSqS9L_zZ_r9-GEzAHc5C4AHs9_IS_-kz3K0GtEHWIFUZV0u3ScCcNAarqSF3Xboq_SaJIHzwE6o2NKAxh4hWPnCcK4fksxO11iBAIH11ba9r1zk0pbr5wrKJYfqqNjRxxQmnq5H9QGToLlrWxIFHd20v-oV5TdIcvOvGHmQVsxzaX75ZMdnH2dwylvH858NJLiul6u6C0LP94E8G9MU2sFLZzZiVQp2e7pKYKOv2ZhS0wjw5aH6IfBSmmHLgvRvYC2e6EmYwXPNfvIKgtQYNhT_kwaUEj1t6S8YTLmcgsUaBWr1mrwyDGaNcbYuu8zgy4aJSVs_CYsRZnjdq34MrGBUjJIUA3takeO-en8S6DdoJyiNFHKm1OFmkrHBEa72k3MZhbdV87uqHjbb6CWWDm4Hxoz0NFnPcXa9bOxS8LJdrK9Cm_5xzmrR308FbJYLfAxZ8cMLzGbgtKtTk3Vy3xBGGh9YokziVhY4mP-Q=w698-h930-no

After trying one of the first fruits from the camp's Goldrush trees, I knew we had to have more. The deer are gonna get what we don't eat !!! Super taste.

Jhoss, you must have been born without tastebuds if you left those Goldrush for the deer! I have a crisper full of them right now from your neck of the woods and they are awesome. We picked them around Nov 10.

This Goldrush (planted 2010) got away from me this year. The top half got no thinning (ladder issues) it didn't get picked either. The bottom half did. Heavy fruit load got it to leaning. A sunken post and a couple of ratchet straps fixed that. I'm going to see how long the apples hold on this winter. View attachment 11806

How did you protect the tree from the ratchet straps? I got a seedling that was overloaded two years ago. I thinned it and pulled it back a bit, but need to try your idea.

Ate a GR grown in North Carolina just the other day and another last night. I would say it ranked right up there with my favorite eating apple, Pink Lady. They were good!

I made an apple crisp with GR the other day. Killer !! Gotta agree with TC ^^^^ - Goldrush, Pink Lady and Ida Reds are my favorite eaters. And they all keep real well too. Kerr is also very impressive as an eater.

How did you protect the tree from the ratchet straps? I got a seedling that was overloaded two years ago. I thinned it and pulled it back a bit, but need to try your idea.
@sandbur. I didn't protect it from the strap itself. I just made sure I had the strap(s) flat all the way around it.

@all. My second year of no protection on these 3. Lucky I guess. I have had some light rubs on other trees which I think I stole the cages off these for them. They are close to the house and I keep an eye on them during the rub season. I may have pulled the re-rod stakes out late the fall, can't remember. Might have something to say about the buck population around here.

Well - here we are 31JAN17 (pic taken yesterday). Some Goldrush still hanging. Getting to be fewer and fewer everyday...
IMG_0843_zpssirucscc.jpg

IMG_0844_zpsarfikpsl.jpg

Those tasty morsels are probably a bit fermented by now. If all those natural shot-glasses fall at once, you might have tippsie critters wandering around.