Golden hornet fruit color

Keystonepaul

5 year old buck +
Ok before you ask you’ll prolly not get a picture from me but I do I have a golden hornet crab thats starting to produce. The apples. Are much more green than the “golden” color you see in pictures on line or expect based on name alone. They do have that slight red blush on them that you see in some pics on line. Does the fruit color vary that much??

Mine turns a bright yellow/gold in centeral Illinois and stay on most of the winter.

yep Prof. Kent, that's what I was expecting. Nothing I can find says they start green and ripen to a golden yellow....so do your golden hornets start out greenish and turn the bright yellow all the pictures show them to be?? Cause.....all I find says they are yellow from the get go?? thanks folks, appreciate the replies Paul

Mine turn yellow, but they start out green.

gBrIkI3.jpg

MJsCCxD.jpg

I have the same experience as H20. They start green and eventually turn yellow/golden.

thanks folks, the impression you get when you read about them is that they start out yellow...appreciate the input.... on another note- happy wth how the trees are progressing and would get more of them.

I bench grafted this one and planted it this spring:

7e5a1c2c-5525-499e-b570-8c42930fb253.jpg

I probably would have pinched these off if I saw them earlier. They certainly are prolific.

I bench grafted this one and planted it this spring:

7e5a1c2c-5525-499e-b570-8c42930fb253.jpg

I probably would have pinched these off if I saw them earlier. They certainly are prolific.

One of my GH produced blooms for the first 4-5 years. It took this year off.

It is on dolgo and has grown well. It also holds fruit into winter for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine start green and turn that golden yellow/orange. Very conspicuous. It has fruited every year. It’s on it’s 5th leaf.

I have some grafted as well... just babies right now but I can wait to see them fruiting out on the land. I came across a wild crab in a swamp that had orange'ish fruit - my fingers are crossed that those grafts make it.

I have some grafted as well... just babies right now but I can wait to see them fruiting out on the land. I came across a wild crab in a swamp that had orange'ish fruit - my fingers are crossed that those grafts make it.

Be sure and taste that crab if it is decent sized.

You might also use it for rootstock in wet locations.

Where is Golden Hornet originally from? Does it possibly have another name in Europe?

Where is Golden Hornet originally from? Does it possibly have another name in Europe?

Cummins calls it an English Crabapple.

Awesome! Thanks, Sandbur. Searches for results in England and found dozens of nurseries selling it.

While we are on GH. It is hard to find a zone rating. I had one planted on two properties with zone 3 temps. Both have survived multiple winter and produce apples now. One has been transplanted to the original property as I sold the property it was on. That property had even worse conditions and soil and that tree was one of two that survived out of 20 various apple trees.

While we are on GH. It is hard to find a zone rating. I had one planted on two properties with zone 3 temps. Both have survived multiple winter and produce apples now. One has been transplanted to the original property as I sold the property it was on. That property had even worse conditions and soil and that tree was one of two that survived out of 20 various apple trees.

My GH survived -40 plus and produced fruit. This year, after a more mild winter, it is resting.

Other GH started to produce.

Be sure and taste that crab if it is decent sized.

You might also use it for rootstock in wet locations.

Good point, (didnt even think of the rootstock idea) by the time I get to see it fruit I will have forgotten that It came out of a swamp... I should take more notes and keep them with the trees. I grafted it because it was a late hanger with cool color not because of where it was growing. That was just an added bonus at the time I took the scion. I have heavy ground that in some locations gets a bit wetter.

I was inventorying me trees with photos and map descriptions of where I took them from but that takes time I dont have and have let it slide a bit.