All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Hornet Crab

greyphase

5 year old buck +
My Golden Hornet crab on G-202 rootstock in the Home Orchard. I planted it in 2014. It's dropped about 1/3 of it's fruit so far. Planning on grafting a few on B118 for the wildlife orchards.
10-27-16%20Cochins%20Golden%20Hornet%20028_zpspldbsc0h.jpg

That is cool looking.

Very nice. How is that variety for disease resistance?

Very nice. How is that variety for disease resistance?

I've only had it for 2 years so can't really say. No problems yet.

From your pic, I can only wonder how a grown B-118 tree will look with a big fruit load !! Looks good Rick.

Awesome looking tree!
I'm going to have to look into adding a couple of those, where did you get yours?

I really like the looks of it. I had read about it and wondered, so good to see your report.

From your pic, I can only wonder how a grown B-118 tree will look with a big fruit load !! Looks good Rick.

Before planting my Golden Hornet I did some googling for images of what mature trees look like. They are pretty spectacular displays, like this one:
kent-crab-apple-tree-malus-golden-hornet-sheep-sculpture-beside-weeping-aech9y.jpg

or this one:

Crabapple-26277.jpg

I took a shot on two of these this year. Cummins would not promise they would make it. They did say some of these old English crabs were very cold hardy but just haven't been tested. I kill zone 3 trees and have a zone 5 pear doing great so I rolled the dice. Very cool looking trees. I was drawn to the very late bloom times.

With a little imagination the large tree kind of looks like a fire works burst! Neat looking tree.

Intriguing trees
Of the handful of successful grafts I have this yr golden hornet on antonaka is one of them! I'm excited to see it loaded in 10 yrs!

Impressive for a 2nd leaf tree. Have you tasted the fruit greyphase?

No I haven't. I'll try to remember to bite into one this evening.

Thanks greyphase, I added two to my spring order!

I didn't even know I had apples on it! They tasted pretty good and we're hanging strong. I really hope this tree survives the winter. Late blossoms and late dropping could be a great combo.
982350f05241ff876db8f916d24a2e3c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22e3250e74266697caf1e64bef0ab73b.jpg

This is a golden hornet we tbudded this August and had to cut fruit off of this Oct.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Chummer - Tuck that G.H. in tight to stay warm for the winter. That G.H. sounds like it would be a good one for your purposes. I hope it survives the winter for you.

So far were still having highs in the upper 80s so I'm hopeful were going to have a mild winter.

Wow those trees really cleared off Cummings list after this thread started.

Chummer - Tuck that G.H. in tight to stay warm for the winter. That G.H. sounds like it would be a good one for your purposes. I hope it survives the winter for you.
Nope. I am done babying these things. No more nursing things along and enduring set back after set back. If they live they live. Cage them and hope for the best.