All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glysophate Backpack Sprayer Mix Ratios

GloryDaysDesign

5 year old buck +
I am not a mathematician, but a graphic designer, so bare with me.

I am being told to use 2 quarts per acre of glyphosate. Obviously, that means the total amount of glysophate to mix into water. So how do we figure out the total mix per acre?

Is this correct?

1 acre = 2qts of GLY = 64ozs of GLY

12oz of GLY per 4 Gallon Backpack Sprayer

1 acre = 5.3 Fillups of 4 Gallon Backpack Sprayer Applications

Don't worry, I plan on smaller areas, but just need to keep the 1 acre as the constant.

You're on serious overkill on your gly rates!

32 oz per acre will assure a complete burndown

2 oz per gallon or 8 oz in a four gallon sprayer!

Rate on # of fillups is totally dependent on your application rate with the sprayer. It doesn't need a soaking!

You say "Rate on # of fillups is totally dependent on your application rate with the sprayer. It doesn't need a soaking!".... but if I have a 1 acre postage stamp to kill while using your math above, I should have 0 herbicide left after 4 applications of a backpack sprayer....?

I am not a mathematician, but a graphic designer, so bare with me.

I am being told to use 2 quarts per acre of glyphosate. Obviously, that means the total amount of glysophate to mix into water. So how do we figure out the total mix per acre?

Is this correct?

1 acre = 2qts of GLY = 64ozs of GLY

12oz of GLY per 4 Gallon Backpack Sprayer

1 acre = 5.3 Fillups of 4 Gallon Backpack Sprayer Applications

Don't worry, I plan on smaller areas, but just need to keep the 1 acre as the constant.

So, here is the thing. The 2 quarts per acre is aimed at agricultural spraying equipment where you can apply the product nice and evenly. With a backpack sprayer and wand, it is almost impossible to walk at a steady rate moving the wand in such a way to get even distribution of the product. So, if you look at the label, they will also have a rate for spot spraying denoted in oz/gal. This is not what one should use with an ATV or tractor mounted sprayer, but it is about the best you can do with that kind of equipment.

I would try a two pass method. Use the spot spray rate and spray your field. Wait two weeks and go back and hit anything that is still green.

Thanks,

Jack

Start off by calibrating your sprayer, then use a 2% mix.

I may take a simplistic approach but whether I am using my atv sprayer or backpack sprayer, I use 2 oz of 41% glyphosate per gallon of water. I then go about spraying just so I wet the vegetation. I go until sprayer is empty, if I need to fill up again, then I fill up again. It has always given me a good burndown and don't have to worry about calibrating or speed.

I may take a simplistic approach but whether I am using my atv sprayer or backpack sprayer, I use 2 oz of 41% glyphosate per gallon of water. I then go about spraying just so I wet the vegetation. I go until sprayer is empty, if I need to fill up again, then I fill up again. It has always given me a good burndown and don't have to worry about calibrating or speed.

For small areas where use is infrequent and cost is not a consideration, a high rate of gly has little downside. The greatest issue is a frequent under-application. When an gly is applied in lower doses, it will kill the members of each species that are most susceptible to it and hurt but not kill those that are least susceptible. Overtime, genetics that favor resistance to glyphosate are selected for. As long as some of the sprayed plants are not surviving and you don't spray the same area every year or even more frequently, it isn't a big issue. Location is a factor as well. In big Ag country where RR crops have been sprayed for many years by cost sensitive farmers, resistance is more of an issue.

As always, it is best to follow the label, but a little heavy is probably a better bet than a little light when it comes to gly specifically.

Thanks,

Jack

I used 3 oz per gallon ... spray until you are empty, then refill ... KISS

I mix 2 1/2 ounces per gallon of water in my 3 gallon sprayer on wheels. That is the recommended amount on the label directions.

Few things in herbicide application are absolute and this is no different. But, backpack sprayer or professional ag application your final spray solutions should contain no less than 1% glyphosate active ingredient. A 2% solution should control all susceptible annuals. Perennials and less susceptible annuals require somewhat more on a percentage basis and/or multiple applications.

Let's assume a one gallon backpack sprayer. It will hold 128 ounces. What to add to our gallon sprayer?
Add some concentrate glyphosate! How much? Check the level of active ingredient in the concentrate (the container of glyphosate). Typically it's 41%.

Let's assume we want a 1.5% finished solution. Multiply the 128 ounces the one gallon backpack sprayer holds by 1.5%.
Simple enough. That's 1.92 ounces of active ingredient - not concentrate - active ingredient! To arrive at the amount of concentrate divide the required 1.92 ounces of gly by 0.41 (41%) - the percentage of active ingredient in the jug of glyphosate. Answer: 4.7 ounces of concentrate. Add enough water to get the finished solution to 128 ounces.

It's the same thing pulling a boom sprayer with a larger tank. Typically, we apply 15-gallons of water per acre when we are spraying vegetation. Get the nozzles right. Flat fans with the right gallonage rating. The label says to use 2 quarts per acre. What percent of the finished solution is active glyphosate? Same math as above

The ounces of active gly is less than the two quarts added to the sprayer, right? Only 41% is active. So, 64 ounces of concentrate and only 41% is active ingredient. A little multiplication (64 multiplied by 0.41) tells us we have 26 ounces of gly in the tank along with 1,896 ounces of water. So, the percent gly in the finished solution is 1.4%.

When i mix for a handheld sprayer the percentage depends on a bunch of factors. But 2% is usually it unless my friend is running the sprayer. He walks too slow and apply way too much spray! It it ain't running off the leaf, he ain't moving! His mix is more like three-quarters to 1%!