Full camps and changing winds

I hunted on the ground (one morning)in Iowa—with a bow . I was pleasantly surprised how many deer came by at under 25 yds. Wind was favorable, and I didn’t have time to get a stand up .

Stood behind a double trunk oak and they walked by with no care in the world. Nothing really big unfortunately.845F54F7-BD22-4A80-9B91-8194772874FC.jpeg

Why do they suck with guns?

for me gun season usually means cold weather and bulky clothes and that’s less fun hanging in a saddle. I also don’t use slings so I have to hold my gun full time in a saddle vs hanging a bow. I feel like gun hunts offer a lot of shot opportunities where you need to spot, aim, shoot quicker which is harder when you’re hanging in a saddle IMO. Where as in archery they are slower developing and allow you to get in a good position.

I use my tree saddle as my harness when I use a mobile hang on tree stand anyway. A mobile stand really isn’t that much heavier than a saddle setup. With the stand, that is my pack frame and I bungie the rest of my gear to it. With a saddle I use a separate pack frame and bag that cut into the weight savings.

Last edited:
for me gun season usually means cold weather and bulky clothes and that’s less fun hanging in a saddle

That's a good point. In Norway we don't have a bow season, so it's rifle hunting from September to December. And it never gets that cold here ny the coast.

For Ontario rifle and muzzleloader seasons, I may need to reconsider. I may have to rent a portable saw mill and just mill a bunch of lumber so I can build some blinds. I need to clear some trees, so I may as well use them for something.

Reactions: 356