Fruit trees for Spring 2023

I planted these about trees about 5 years ago. I bought them online and they were only labeled Wild Pear Trees. I've had them tubed until this year. I opened them up and pruned them up. Any ideas what they could be? They have some sort of thorny growths that grow out on the newer branches. They've never blossomed.
Pictures aren't the best. They really blended in with the background.
View attachment 53194
View attachment 53195
They are probably Callery Pears. Thorns are very common on them. They have become an invasive species where I live. They will eventually flower at some point. Fruit will be too small and worthless unless they have some other pear genes mixed in. However, you can topwork them to a good pear. They make good rootstocks.

They are probably Callery Pears. Thorns are very common on them. They have become an invasive species where I live. They will eventually flower at some point. Fruit will be too small and worthless unless they have some other pear genes mixed in. However, you can topwork them to a good pear. They make good rootstocks.
Damn I was hoping they weren't Callery's. I'll graft them before they start flowering.

I planted these about trees about 5 years ago. I bought them online and they were only labeled Wild Pear Trees. I've had them tubed until this year. I opened them up and pruned them up. Any ideas what they could be? They have some sort of thorny growths that grow out on the newer branches. They've never blossomed.
Pictures aren't the best. They really blended in with the background.
View attachment 53194
View attachment 53195
Do you remember where you bought them ?. Looks a lot like My Wild Deer Pear trees from Nativ Nurseries. While I'm not 100 % sure when I planted mine , I'd guess 2018-2019 . ALL pear trees were loaded with blossoms this spring for the first time but a late frost got all but two trees...I'll post a pic in the late summer /fall to show how big the pears got on my Wild deer pear.

Do you remember where you bought them ?. Looks a lot like My Wild Deer Pear trees from Nativ Nurseries. While I'm not 100 % sure when I planted mine , I'd guess 2018-2019 . ALL pear trees were loaded with blossoms this spring for the first time but a late frost got all but two trees...I'll post a pic in the late summer /fall to show how big the pears got on my Wild deer pear.
It was a random website that doesn't exist anymore. I don't remember the name.

Wild Callery pears are all over around where we live. Very invasive and they're listed as trees to get rid of here. They spread like crazy.

It was a random website that doesn't exist anymore. I don't remember the name.
Was it a website / Nursery with trees geared towards hunters or wildlife ?. If so you may want to wait a few more years to see what type of pear they produce. While it could be junk like a Callery Pear, or if you are lucky it could be a wild pear Varity somebody found and started grafting. The "Dr Deer pear" and "wildlife pear" that The wildlife group sells are two examples of golf ball sized wild pears that have been found in the wild with unknow genes and now folks are selling them.

Was it a website / Nursery with trees geared towards hunters or wildlife ?. If so you may want to wait a few more years to see what type of pear they produce. While it could be junk like a Callery Pear, or if you are lucky it could be a wild pear Varity somebody found and started grafting. The "Dr Deer pear" and "wildlife pear" that The wildlife group sells are two examples of golf ball sized wild pears that have been found in the wild with unknow genes and now folks are selling them.
No not really. I don't really remember now though either. I remember they sold a lot of oaks and things but I don't remember them being really geared towards wildlife or hunters. Just sold a lot of trees I was interested in. That may be where my persimmons came from too

No not really. I don't really remember now though either. I remember they sold a lot of oaks and things but I don't remember them being really geared towards wildlife or hunters. Just sold a lot of trees I was interested in. That may be where my persimmons came from too
Oikos?

Nah, it was a small site. Seemed like it was maybe a pretty small operation. They were always behind and eventually just stopped. I want to say they were down south somewhere too. Florida maybe.

Is there a good way to tell the difference between callery and other good wild pear trees? Other than they are invasive, the deer and turkeys love callery pears here. We have photos of turkeys flying in up and sitting on the branches eating them right off the tree at our family camp in northern PA.

At what point do you trim the new growth back to just one stem on grafts?

Attachments

• 20230606_115814.jpg
    20230606_115814.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 28
A couple of weeks ago. ;)

It’s very interesting to me that the month of June has been one of my greatest challenges between grafting & planting over the past few years in WI. The lawns are brown again and no rain in the forecast. Between drought, insects, disease, voles, rabbits, deer, etc etc it’s amazing we can even grow anything! IMG_7104.jpeg

I got my Wildlife Group order in on Friday. I had ordered the Late Season Pear Package for this year. Most of the pear trees if not all were of good quality with nice root systems . The Gilmore Christmas being the exception it’s roots were a bit questionable but they must of had an over abundance of those pears or where a bit unsure of them themselves they shipped me 6 extra of them. I certainly can’t complain about that, it filled my little 1/2 acre orchard I had laid out on the new farm and I brought 3 of them back to the house and planted in the home orchard. Now I’m just waiting on a couple Illinois Everbearing Mulberry trees I ordered and some grafted Pecans to arrive. Ison’s was running a sale on their grafted pecan trees and I had a moment of weakness and ordered 4 of them Friday evening now I have to figure out where to plant them.
How did your Gilmore Christmas pear trees grow this year so far ?

Well I’ll need to get out to that farm and look them over I planted two of them here at the house and they are still alive but they where likely the poorest of the 6 they sent and one of them is bearly hanging on. I may go ahead and take a spin out there this evening. I wouldn’t mind checking on some Durano white clover I planted on that farm also one of the guys at work was quizzing me on the Durano last week.

Ok three where at the house two are doing ok the third is alive. Now keep in mind these where free they didn’t charge me anything for these trees just shipped them with my order.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 8
The other two at the house
IMG_0072.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0071.jpeg
    IMG_0071.jpeg
    671.4 KB · Views: 7
IMG_0073.jpeg

Attachments