All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fruit & Nut Trees along Ag Fields

williams111

5 year old buck +
I am new to this forum along with being the new owner of 25 acres located in eastern Iowa. It is half tillable half timber. I have been reading and rereading old and new threads on this and other forums to try and gain as much knowledge as I can. I have been bit by the "tree planting" bug bad. I have many plans for the new place this coming year. Including TSI and Tree planting. I have DCO, Regular Chinkapin, Badgersett Chestnuts, Dunstan Chestnuts, and Persimmon seeds in my fridge. And some apple/pear rootstock ordered from cummins and an order for scion wood from GRIN. I have been thinking about placement of these trees and I have been wondering if planting them between the timber and the corn/bean fields would be a bad idea with the chemicals that are sprayed on the ag fields to kill weeds throughout the year? Would I be better off planting the trees a little ways off of the ag fields? Would one species handle this better then the others?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The only way I have found to keep them from getting over sprayed or drifted on is if you are the one doing the spraying or you plant a buffer like MG or tall native grasses in between or you put up "Do Not Spray" signs, or a combo of all.

I would not plant along a field that was being sprayed by someone other then me. I can take sufficient precautions, who knows what someone else might do.

Congrats on your purchase. 25 acres in Iowa, is often better than 100 acres in other states... good luck!!

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Looks like I will have to revise my plan a bit to make more room inside the edges of the timber. Thanks!

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Looks like I will have to revise my plan a bit to make more room inside the edges of the timber. Thanks!

Keep in mind they need a lot of sun. Inside the timber will reduce that and the timber will consume a lot of water and other resources that would otherwise be available to your fruit trees.

Keep in mind they need a lot of sun. Inside the timber will reduce that and the timber will consume a lot of water and other resources that would otherwise be available to your fruit trees.
+2

Note taken! I have some areas with a lot of unwanted trees that I plant to kill, which is where most of the oak, persimmon and chestnuts will be planted. I have also got some more open areas I will likely put most of the apple/pear trees. I am just trying to be conscientious of placement as far away from walnut and red cedar trees to avoid the juglone and CAR effects from those on the apple trees. Thanks again!