Franklin Cider Tree Availability

DrDirtNap

5 year old buck +
Anybody know where I can find a Franklin Cider tree ? Seems to be sold out everyplace I check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. - As far as I know - and have been told by Cummins Nursery folks - Stark Bros. Nursery is the ONLY nursery where the Franklin Cider trees will be available from now on. They have the rights to produce and sell it. ONLY THEM. They bought the rights from the guy in Vermont that had the original seedling tree. FWIW.

Dr. - As far as I know - and have been told by Cummins Nursery folks - Stark Bros. Nursery is the ONLY nursery where the Franklin Cider trees will be available from now on. They have the rights to produce and sell it. ONLY THEM. They bought the rights from the guy in Vermont that had the original seedling tree. FWIW.

Thanks...it's not listed on the Stark Bros website. I suspect they might be selling it wholesale only?? I know Cummins had some last year.

They had an article that said the were looking at selling individual trees next year but only wholesale this year

They had an article that said the were looking at selling individual trees next year but only wholesale this year

Well I guess I should have got a couple last year

If it makes you feel better I missed the boat as well

If it makes you feel better I missed the boat as well

Well I’ve got plenty trees to plant this winter already and after that grafting to take care of. Thanks for the information.

Well back in Sept, Wallace Woodstock Nursery had listed Franklin Cider as a new item for this fall and 2018. Now whether they have any in stock yet dunno. They must be trying to pay attention to the cider popularity going on. They list a couple other trees they just started carrying which are antique varieties noted for cider like Smokehouse too.

So would seem that Stark is still willing to let others make a sale, maybe Wallace is still sourcing from Stark?

They were listed only as standard rootstock with big and XL for tree size. Looking up their sizing big = 4-5 ft and XL = 5-6 ft

I believe Stark will sell the Franklin to other vendors wholesale - to be re-sold by those vendors - but Stark has the rights to it. I got my info from Cummins Nursery. I bought 2 Franklins from Cummins last year when they had some to sell. I asked Cummins if they were going to have any this year and they said no. I think Neahawg is right in post #4 above.

I have a couple coming from W.W nursery. Standard trees only it says on their website. I'm looking to get a few chestnuts also, where would you guys recommend? I'm in Wi.

I didn't know W.W. had any F.C. trees. ^^^^^^ Thanks Boone.

I have a couple coming from W.W nursery. Standard trees only it says on their website. I'm looking to get a few chestnuts also, where would you guys recommend? I'm in Wi.

Boone, thanks for the information. I’ll check with WW and see if they have any available. Thanks

Well I called the WW Nursery today in Wisconsin and they do have the Franklin Cider apple tree available. However, they can't ship until early to mid April. I know this is typical for places up north but I really want to have all my tree planting finished before April. Our turkey season comes in March 15 and I don't want to be jacking around with trees while turkey season is in...so I passed this year. Maybe next year I can find a place that will ship earlier. I've got plenty of trees to plant this year already. Thanks for all the help guys!

Well I called the WW Nursery today in Wisconsin and they do have the Franklin Cider apple tree available. However, they can't ship until early to mid April. I know this is typical for places up north but I really want to have all my tree planting finished before April. Our turkey season comes in March 15 and I don't want to be jacking around with trees while turkey season is in...so I passed this year. Maybe next year I can find a place that will ship earlier. I've got plenty of trees to plant this year already. Thanks for all the help guys!
If I was in your situation I'd plant them in a nursery spot at the house in April and then put them in their permanent location in the fall.

What’s the website for WW?

What is so special about this tree and I have to know where Dr. Dirt Nap comes from reminds me of myself sleeping in the dirt while elk hunting in Idaho but that is a long story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is there resistance to cedar apple rust?