All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found an older dead head on the new farm.

Hoytvectrix

5 year old buck +
I think it has been dead around 4 years. Probably EHD or hit by a car in velvet. All of the burs around the base were still sharp and hadn't been rubbed yet. It's never ideal to find a dead head but encouraging for the genetics and age class of bucks in the area.

Attachments

• PXL_20230306_002352546.jpg
    PXL_20230306_002352546.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20230306_002347287.jpg
    PXL_20230306_002347287.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20230306_002328793.jpg
    PXL_20230306_002328793.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 64
That head is in pretty good shape. Surprised it's not half chewed from porcupines.

That head is in pretty good shape. Surprised it's not half chewed from porcupines.
Yeah, I don't think I've found one this old that wasn't more chewed up. The skull and rack only were a couple of pounds from being dried out so much.

The antlers aren't bleached white yet either. Was it under a pine tree or a bunch of thick grass?

Cool buck.

The antlers aren't bleached white yet either. Was it under a pine tree or a bunch of thick grass?

Cool buck.
Very thick cover. I found several recent deer beds in the same area.

Ve surprised at the condition. Here, mice & squirrels have a field day on antlers. Good find!

Why so many in same area?

Ve surprised at the condition. Here, mice & squirrels have a field day on antlers. Good find!

Why so many in same area?
So many beds? I think it is just a great spot that almost never has human intrusion. Between a creek and an ag field.

It seems like if I ever find a shed after March it is nearly always devoured by rodents.

I didn't really film the area all that well, but here is what it looked like when I walked up on it: https://imgflip.com/gif/7dmq9v

Very nice. Looks alot like the one I found muzzleloader hunting in the PA state forests about 7 years ago or so.