Found a loaded crab tree

westonwhitetail

5 year old buck +
I found a crab tree that is still holding a lot of apples so I thought it may be a good one to try my luck at grafting onto some root stock next spring. The tree is loaded with red apples and the larger ones are 1.5-2” in diameter. See pictures below. The tree is probably 25-30’ tall.

Can anyone identify the type of crab from my pictures below? It was early morning so the pics are not the greatest but can get more if it would help.

Also would I have any success trying to cut scions from this tree in late winter to graft on to some root stock I would buy or is it not worth my time?

ef6f25d7e0aa83d77436188d3d8805d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3682387624af838c504e611c9270915a.jpg

I'd give grafting some scions from it a go. Nothing to lose, maybe some great producers to gain !! Looking at your tree pix ……… I'd like to have 2 or 3 of those at camp. That's a lot of attraction to drop for the critters.

Where do you guys get your rootstock and what do you use?
I ordered Antonovka apple seedlings as rootstock for my zone 4A area for their cold hardiness. I'm going to start grafting in the spring. Where did you get those pots?

WestonW; Winner winner chicken dinner,,,,. jackpot won! You will have great success grafting that crab, just look for some longer new growth on the ends of the branches and take them in late winter. Did you brave a bite into one of those crabs to give it a taste? I think you have a winner there... by the way their killing a ton of bucks in the neighborhood right now.

Where do you guys get your rootstock and what do you use?
I ordered Antonovka apple seedlings as rootstock for my zone 4A area for their cold hardiness. I'm going to start grafting in the spring. Where did you get those pots?
Wintonmatic how many RS did you order? If you have a small batch you can just grab used nursery pots (landscapers often have piles of used ones to buy cheap or just take for free) , 5 gal buckets or what ever you can get dirt into and put a few drain holes in... Otherwise some guys swear by rootmaker pots... I use everything from 3gal used nursery pots to web bought round pots and have switched to sq/deep tree pots. Last batch i got from https://www.greenhousemegastore.com...epots?returnurl=/containers-trays/plant-pots/ Im not endorsing them, just bought from them... the pots are stuewe and sons but their shipping is high (price is good shipping kills it though) https://www.stuewe.com/products/treepots.php

Can anyone identify the type of crab from my pictures below? It was early morning so the pics are not the greatest but can get more if it would help.

Forgot to add.... once you name it - it will be a lot easier to id; Its your tree - likely just a wild sport pooped out of a bird or a cow and taken root right there.

WestonW; Winner winner chicken dinner,,,,. jackpot won! You will have great success grafting that crab, just look for some longer new growth on the ends of the branches and take them in late winter. Did you brave a bite into one of those crabs to give it a taste? I think you have a winner there... by the way their killing a ton of bucks in the neighborhood right now.

Wintonmatic how many RS did you order? If you have a small batch you can just grab used nursery pots (landscapers often have piles of used ones to buy cheap or just take for free) , 5 gal buckets or what ever you can get dirt into and put a few drain holes in... Otherwise some guys swear by rootmaker pots... I use everything from 3gal used nursery pots to web bought round pots and have switched to sq/deep tree pots. Last batch i got from https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/containers-trays/plant-pots/treepots?returnurl=/containers-trays/plant-pots/ Im not endorsing them, just bought from them... the pots are stuewe and sons but their shipping is high (price is good shipping kills it though) https://www.stuewe.com/products/treepots.php
I ordered 75 Antonovka and 25 pear rootstock seedlings from St Lawrance Nursery. $120 including shipping. Best deal I found. Connor the owner was great to deal with. I am going to plant 50 right away to field graft later, and bench graft 25. I have a bunch of 1 gallon pots but I might just plant them in the garden and fence them. Looking for scions now, local wild crabs and regular apples. There is so much great information on this forum.

Hard to beat $1.2/each shipped if they are large enough to graft when you receive them.

Cavey this tree is only 2-3 miles from your land if you want some too! I did not eat one, didn’t think of it at the time! The pictures don’t do it justice about 2-3 weeks ago this thing was a big beautiful solid red color from all the fruit

I agree on the good hunting round our part lately. My cousin and brother shot nice big old bodies deer with nice racks to go with em. I shot my first bow buck as well. Not the biggest buck, but I’ve been passing ok bucks for 8-9 years waiting on a nice one and decided to get in on the action this year. So we are 3 for 3 and all tagged out for bow!

Last edited:
I'd give grafting some scions from it a go. Nothing to lose, maybe some great producers to gain !! Looking at your tree pix ……… I'd like to have 2 or 3 of those at camp. That's a lot of attraction to drop for the critters.

Thanks I thought it was a good looking tree, just needed some encouragement to give it a go. Never have grafted before especially off a tree on the side of the road!

Westonwhitetail - Check out the grafting videos on You-tube. I typed "Apple Tree Grafting" into my search bar and a bunch of videos popped up. That's how I learned - watching those guys actually making the grafts. It's not really hard - you just need to be careful with your knife and make good cuts, and then wrap / seal the graft tight. It's def. worth a shot.

Last edited:
Westonwhitetail - Check out the grafting videos on You-tube. I typed "Apple Tree Grafting" into my search bar and a bunch of videos popped up. That's how I learned - watching those guys actually making the grafts. It's not really hard - you just need to be careful with your knife and make good cuts, and then wrap / seal the graft tight. It's def. worth a shot.

I’ll give it a shot, thanks videos would be helpful