Food plots and acorns

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
Despite the fact that we have the most massive crop of white oak acorns I've seen in 10 years, the deer are still just hammering my food plots (especially the wheat and oats). I know that acorns are the ultimate draw for deer, but that doesn't mean that they won't eat anything else while acorns are present. This weekend we watched them from the blind, and both evenings there would be several deer eat in the plots constantly for over an hour before dark. When they would pass one of my fruit trees that still had mast, they would grab a few bites there too, but very quickly be back at the grains.

Now, I'm sure that at some point after dark, they also filled up on acorns, but I guess I mention this, because some people may feel that plots have little value in a year when acorns are plentiful. That isn't what I'm seeing this year for sure. I think they sense that green stuff will soon be gone and want to fill up on it while they can.

What are your observations on this subject?

I have seen them come out of the woods eat in the plot go back in the woods eat acorns and come back out a little while later and eat in the plot some more. This is a typical night when the acorns are falling, years ago when I first saw them leave the plot I thought they were gone for the evening but no they like a combo of green and acorns and this year add a bumper crop of apples in there. What I've seen the deer around here seem to use both and not prefer one over the other at anytime.

We have a TON of white and red oak on our 100 acres in Ohio. The deer could probably just live on acorns all year if they so desired. BUT they do seem to really enjoy the plots I put in. They crush basically anything I've planted, from rye to brassicas.

However, when it's warm, they tend to stay closer to bedding, back in the woods and don't leave the acorns. We get a slight cold front or rise in pressure and, boom, plot is full all evening. Had 9 out there in a 3/4 acre plot two saturdays ago when we had a good front pass thru. Guess it just depends on the specific herd and location of bedding in relation to food.

Most of my property is in extensive hardwood river bottoms. If deer didnt eat wheat when acorns are falling - they would rarely visit my plots. Acorns are thick on the ground right now - and an hour before dark - there are deer in every food plot - and my plots stay green all winter long so the deer arent worried about not having something green later on. Deer are lazy - they like an easy food source - which food plots are. Deer never quit my plots.

Native, have you observed any distinct preference by deer for the chestnuts when they are dropping? In your estimation, are deer more attracted to acorns, food plots, chestnuts, or any other single source, when all are present?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My farm is in ag country, about 20% row crops, about 50% mixed hardwood and the remainder is loblolly pine plantation. This may sound vague but deer just kinda eat everywhere as they travel. While the destination for the night may be a beanfield or block of timber with acorns on the ground, they may well go through a clover turnip patch to get there. What may also be important is the amount of time they spend in any one place; a few minutes in and out of a food plot vs hours at a destination-type food source.

Native, have you observed any distinct preference by deer for the chestnuts when they are dropping? In your estimation, are deer more attracted to acorns, food plots, chestnuts, or any other single source, when all are present?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jason, i think the post above by Boll Weevil describes what I see at my place. As the deer travel, they just seem to be eating everything as they go along. This year I took special note of the chestnuts, because there were so many. For the first few days as they began to fall, very few of them were eaten. Then, it seems that the trees near the bedding areas were hit hard, and following that in a few days, every chestnut that I didn't pick up myself was devoured.

At the time white oak acorns are dropping, I generally stay out of my woods, because I know that deer bed nearby, so I really don't observe the acorns as much. However, I have some sawtooths out in the open that drop from mid October into late November, and those are eaten as well as the chestnuts.

I think deer like a buffet, just like we do as humans. That always seems to be the best attraction. It just seems that for some reason this year that my deer are spending a lot of time in the wheat and oats. They will grab a bit of other things but they are really liking the grains.

Last edited:
I think deer like a buffet, just like we do as humans. That always seems to be the best attraction.

From everything i have seen, this seems to be true of whitetails. They may focus on one thing or another, but they always like a variety.

Our food plots are just getting going because of earlier drought. I've been out west for a while elk hunting but here is what I'm observing now. We are in the early stages of the rut and bucks are becoming very interested in the does. Like many we have a robust white and red oak acorn crop. Nonetheless does and young bucks are readily coming to the plots. I sat yesterday afternoon and had 1 doe/fawn come out with 2 yearling bucks. Watching the edge of the woods I saw a 4 yr old 10 pt and another 9 pt making scrapes and rubbing. They never made it to the field but on any given day now they would come to the field to chase does.

With the rut kicking in food becomes secondary to bucks. Does like the easy meal the plots offer. While being in the woods may offer more buck sightings now it is also a much harder hunt. Given time and luck to be on the right plot absolutely mature bucks will show up. Also not unusual to drive around at 'off' hours and catch a single mature buck in the field feeding. I think they are exhausted from the chase and once everything settles down they go for a quick meal

Deer here will use the plots irrespective of how much food is in the woods.

One last thought. I find it totally common to watch deer eat a few acorns, nibble on some green briar or other green stuff, walk over to a protein feeder, grab a few bites, perhaps eat a little corn all while working their way to a green field where they both eat and play. Variety rules .