All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food plot use way down- Acorns?

hilltopper

5 year old buck +
The evening inflow of deer to the foodplots has slowed to a trickle. Anybody else experiencing this in south central Wisconsin. I've seen just the beginning of acorn drop here and there. Or is my clover getting less palatable as the fields have really dried out?

Same in MO for me. I figure there's something else tasting better right now.

Mine here in IL are still in full use
e6154a20a06c997af6f195d59e3622c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My land is in Portage county and I am seeing my ag and Eagle beans just getting hammered. My farmer just did a cut on the alfalfa field a week ago so it is at the young green stage where the deer also really love it. Just the early start of the acorn drop for me.

The evening inflow of deer to the foodplots has slowed to a trickle. Anybody else experiencing this in south central Wisconsin. I've seen just the beginning of acorn drop here and there. Or is my clover getting less palatable as the fields have really dried out?

What stage is your clover plot in right now? I only mow mine once a year and from about late July to now, deer seem to be hitting it pretty strong. They have eaten all the flowers/seed heads and I can actually see the tonage dropping. No need to mow. If I only understood what deer wanted and when... I'd be a millionaire. Beans should be starting to yellow in the next couple of weeks. I think you will see some action back on clover then.

I've been seeing deer out in the bean fields in evenings here a bunch.

If anything I have noticed the opposite. In the last week I have had deer(does) in in one of my brassica plots almost non stop. The plot is only 3/4 of an acre, and the top growth last week was a good 2 feet or more, it is being depleted fast now. I will be going up next weekend and adding in a mixture of oats and winter rye to my plots. At this point I am hoping the acorns start dropping, or my brassica plot will be wiped out.

I have seen some really big acorns dropping on our place in s.e. mn. this past week. I didn't pay much attention as to what kind they were.

First of all keep in mind our plots are to SUPPLEMENT the deer's diet - preferably in a time of stress. As such your plots should see fluctuations in good habitat areas as that habitat will provide other natural foods for the deer. Late summer and early fall is a buffet of soft and hard mast in good habitat. I would suspect that the deer have found a natural food source somewhere and are taking advantage while they can.