All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food plot/Orchard Expansion

Anyone know of any chestnut varieties that grow well in Zone 4b?

Also, are hazelnuts an attractive food source for deer? Does it rank up there with acorns and chestnuts or is it a step below those?

The half doz or so chinese chestnut I've planted in 4b borderline 4a did not make it past a couple yrs. Just another data point. Oaks do very well.

Hazelnuts are probably good deer chow but all the smaller critters REALLY like em so hard to estimate from personal experience for me

I got some from SNL a few years ago. They are doing great but I don’t remember the name. Not sure if they still sell them under the new owner but I am sure he could get you the name.

https://stlawrencenurseries.com/collections/nuts-1/products/hazelbert-corylus-sp?variant=28104180871

Hazelbert must be what you planted. Looks like a great option

The half doz or so chinese chestnut I've planted in 4b borderline 4a did not make it past a couple yrs. Just another data point. Oaks do very well.

Hazelnuts are probably good deer chow but all the smaller critters REALLY like em so hard to estimate from personal experience for me

I’m an hour North of Green Bay so I’d probably have similar experience to you. I’ll try some hybrids and see what happens. It’d be amazing if I could find a variety that works.

Great thread guys. My wife and I are currently thinking of changing our destination plot into a large orchard with a clover base and look to keep strips of oats & rye planted within etc. we are in northern Wisconsin within large tracts of woods with no ag. I’m glad to see I’m not crazy for thinking of doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are the hazelnuts from SNL. They were planted as single stem shrubs. They have really taken off.
225f9731376470e4ed84917b7b522c7a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Those look great! I’m sure I’ll be planting a bunch next spring!

I'd be embarrassed to show you guys my hazelnuts that I got from the county .....third year in the ground and still quite small

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You guys plant hazel brush and today I cut a whole bunch down for a shooting lane and for a stand access trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regional variation/preferences of shrubs interesting

i would love hazel nut here

Beauty berry acts invasive in my understory

bill

Can you grow hazel bushes from wood cutting the way you can with willow and ROD?