Foggy's Deertopia Proving Grounds - Happenings

Those plots looks fantastic. For all the calibrating and setting up you do on those drills, it certainly pays off.

Do you see many deer on those midday sits? I've always wondered about it, but I've never done it.
We think the period from about 11 AM to 1:30 or so.....has some deer on their feet. They often get out of their beds at this time of day.....to grab some more groceries and to take a short walk and relieve themselves. At least this has been our experience over the opening weekend. After this time frame.....we often just hunt evenings. If the rut is "on" all times of day can be good.

We started using 1 pound tanks which would last for about 3 hours with our Mr Heaters. That became a hassle.....so we added a filter and 12 foot hoses or longer and added the 25 gallon LP tanks. Those work pretty good. Lately tho....I added the Nu-way gas heaters that require an exhaust......and use an LP tank. I like those in that you can keep the windows closed if you want....and you have far less condensation on the windows. Also much safer due to the exhaust.....and most of your scent is drawn thru the stove and up and out thru the exhaust vent at about 18' high. Also the Rednecks are more bug resistant and mouse proof.....etc.....etc.

We dont think many deer scent us with these Nu-Way heaters (but we don't have much of an issue with the Mr Heaters either.). I have three of the Nu-Way stoves now.....and if I replace any of our deteriorating boxes with a Redneck.....I likely will add the Nu-way stove to that stand. I wanted to replace another older stand this year....but just didn't get a round to it. The ones we use most are in pretty good shape.
You have any pics or a thread where you talk about the nu-way set up in a redneck?

You have any pics or a thread where you talk about the nu-way set up in a redneck?
Yep. Do a look-up on "Blind Heaters" and you will see some posts with pics on the Nu way.

You are so ingenious and handy Fog. I’m jealous.

You are so ingenious and handy Fog. I’m jealous.
As Red Green says: If wimmen don't find you handsome.....you may as well be handy. (or some such thing). I've always liked finding solutions to these different issues. Kinda a dreamer....some would say. That's fun for me. (and sometimes expensive...lol).

Lately I been dreaming about owning a Rat-Rod. A perfect ambition for an old hot-rodder like me....find bizarre solutions to minor problems. grin.

Foggy do you just run a long hose into the shack and keep the tank on the ground. If so great space saver
Just so you know......you should never put that propane tank inside your blind. Really should not store them inside any enclosure like a garage.....much less a blind. Bad juju. Get them outside and stay safe.

Hey foggy is there a way to send you a picture of the Taj we built that gets my 88 year old dad in personally

check your PM Matinc. Thanks.

I'd like to avoid radish in the large box if possible. I like being able to set the openers to 1-1.5" so the cereals, peas, beans, etc get covered even in the low spots where openers aren't as deep. Maybe i'll have to change that line of thought if the radish don't play nice in the small box.
I took these pictures for you today wind. This is what my drill furrows look like on bare ground with the settings I gave you.

IMG_2263.jpegIMG_2265.jpeg

I took these pictures for you today wind. This is what my drill furrows look like on bare ground with the settings I gave you.

View attachment 58128View attachment 58129
That is some very unique looking soil. Is it sand and red clay or what is the composition?

Thought the forum might like this 100 foot white pine decimated by lightning

Attachments

• 20230513_184152.jpg
    20230513_184152.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 40
LOL....no offense.....interesting stuff (Omi's soil looks like red powder?) .......but why are you guys putting this on "Foggy's Deertopia Proving Grounds-happenings" ? Start your own thread - grin.

As my buddy tell's me when I give him golf pointers......."Why don't you watch your own bobber?" LMAO.

Lmaoff start the new thread foggy n I will add more pictures for YOUR award winning audience.

Thought the forum might like this 100 foot white pine decimated by lightning
Thanks for that pic. White pine, huh?? We had lightning strike a couple trees at camp (not near each other - and not the same year), and they were both white pines. Not the tallest trees around either. Our trees blew apart like yours did. Lightning have a thing for white pines???

Foggy -

Those plots look great!! I'd be happy with those plots in any year. Safe travels, and good luck hunting over those plots.

Foggy -

Those plots look great!! I'd be happy with those plots in any year. Safe travels, and good luck hunting over those plots.
We had some rain just after I took those pics above......and from looking at my game camera pics I get each day, (cellular thumbnails) the plots are really growing nice now. We had some pretty good growing days in late September / early October to bring those brassica along. Rain is a real game changer.

Foggy, have you ever had red squirrels chew your LP gas hose?

I added aluminum window screen around the bottom 4 feet of mine after finding it chewed on opening day.

Foggy, have you ever had red squirrels chew your LP gas hose?

I added aluminum window screen around the bottom 4 feet of mine after finding it chewed on opening day.
I have never considered this Burr. Will consider such a fix.

Dang Burr.....now I need to come up with a squirrel and mouse repellant. Ignorance was bliss.

Last edited:
I have never considered this Burr. Will consider such a fix.

Dang Burr.....now I need to come up with a squirrel and mouse repellant. Ignorance was bliss.
It didn’t happen for years, but then…