Flower

ksgobbler

5 year old buck +
Wife wants to know what this is. Ive been on the Kswildflower.org website trying to find it. Anybody know what it is? I thought the flowers look similar to bee balm but not arranged like them.20190716_155100.jpg

It might be Purple Loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria) - an invasive species. If that's the case, you will have no trouble researching it more on the Internet, because it's becoming a serious problem in a lot of places.

The only other things I can think of that looks similar are some of the Hyssop species and native loosestrifes. Let me know what you find.

Last edited:
Definitely Lemon Bee Balm. (also known as Lemon Mint, or Horsemint)
I have a good bit of it in the backyard this year. It can have a pretty varied growth structure, but is about the only flower with those multiple levels of bloom clusters along a vertical, angular stem.

04a8be0950ecab478af0bedec7648e42.jpg

762ebcf30dab6f622e868413f3276ca2.jpg

5cc16bca66e99ac50aebdc4c954b12f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any value to wildlife?

bill

I second the Lemon Bee-Balm post. I'm guessing cattle graze it as I only find it where there are no cattle and we have some in our pastures that get rest. Can't say I've ever seen deer nibble on it. I see insects using it often!

Any value to wildlife?

bill

TONS of pollinator value, it it is considered deer and rabbit resistant.

I like it because it is extremely drought tolerant.
It will still bloom here in Texas when it is 100+ and everything else is crispy brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk