fishing reports

Of the fish I have caught the fight put up by bowfin is second to only sturgeon.

I agree...bowfin are crazy fighters and toothy prehistoric looking apex predators that can live out of water way to long!

IMG_1847.JPG My son and I took the kayaks out on a little lake and had steady bass action. Good times.

Them flatheads sure are fun to catch!

Them flatheads sure are fun to catch!

Agree!

I like catching the big ones..they are like a bulldozer on the line, we use tuna rods and salt water reals for them.

SQPg2hB.jpg

uCvKzkm.jpg

VYL46IM.jpg

vaTCnvC.jpg

Managed to make a trip out a few weeks ago and found a pretty hot cobia bite! Anybody recognizes the intro song, it was picked a bit tongue in cheek as it matched the cobia bite and BRUTAL Florida summer afternoon heat. :emoji_wink:

Wow that coloration on the catfish is cool. Never seen one like that around here.

Ya, that flathead coloring looked kind of like dark Sitka gear pattern. It came out of a twenty acre borrow pit that is around 40' deep.

I've had no time to get on the ice this winter but I'm starting to get the itch real bad. Anybody been out drilling holes?

I've been out twice. Once on Lake Wisconsin and once on a small seepage lake near my house. A few crappies and gills to show for it. The warmer weather has not coincided with my free time very well so far this year. Heading up to the cabin Friday night after work and hit Petenwell on Saturday with some buddies. Should be a real nice crowd out there with the Boondocks fishery going on.

I've been out twice. Once on Lake Wisconsin and once on a small seepage lake near my house. A few crappies and gills to show for it. The warmer weather has not coincided with my free time very well so far this year. Heading up to the cabin Friday night after work and hit Petenwell on Saturday with some buddies. Should be a real nice crowd out there with the Boondocks fishery going on.
I hope to get up onto either Petenwell or Castle Rock in a few weeks. Unfortunately the bite really cools off right around now through late February. I know because I usually go up during that period :emoji_disappointed:. From what I've been reading walleyes have been going strong the past few weeks. Good luck at the Boondocks event. I'm going to try and sneak in a morning one the ice somewhere closer to home soon.

I do real well up there in the summer but struggle on the ice. I've fished it once or twice a season for the last 7 years with a handful of fish each time out. I heard it slows down. Sunny days better. I'm sure the slow down will start Thursday or maybe Friday with my luck. Any tips you care to share on ice time I'm all years. I'm not fishing the tourney.

I do real well up there in the summer but struggle on the ice. I've fished it once or twice a season for the last 7 years with a handful of fish each time out. I heard it slows down. Sunny days better. I'm sure the slow down will start Thursday or maybe Friday with my luck. Any tips you care to share on ice time I'm all years. I'm not fishing the tourney.
Sunshine, midday 9-3, bright colors, rattles, scent (baitmate), and stay mobile until you find them. Many times one hole will be hot while the others all it around are dead so spread your holes out at each spot you try.

I don't want to think about drilling holes in ice. I've been fishing on lake Okeechobee for almost a month and have to go home this wekeend. Crappie bite has been unbelievable the whole time.

This whole thread has been fun to look thru. I haven't been able to fish since last July. Hey Swat, my parents are heading to FL shortly. He's considered going over to Okeechobee for a day to fish, but always chickens out. His cousin is there now and apparently confirms what you said, great fishing. He said they got a 15.5 as the biggest so far. Can you recommend a guide on that lake who would show my dad a good time?

This whole thread has been fun to look thru. I haven't been able to fish since last July. Hey Swat, my parents are heading to FL shortly. He's considered going over to Okeechobee for a day to fish, but always chickens out. His cousin is there now and apparently confirms what you said, great fishing. He said they got a 15.5 as the biggest so far. Can you recommend a guide on that lake who would show my dad a good time?

I could try and find out. There is a guide that has been fishing the same area as me, but I know nothing about him. I've been coming here since 1992, and have never used a guide. I could take him, but I'm leaving Saturday night. We've been getting limits every time out, the wife got one over 2# yesterday.

I could try and find out. There is a guide that has been fishing the same area as me, but I know nothing about him. I've been coming here since 1992, and have never used a guide. I could take him, but I'm leaving Saturday night. We've been getting limits every time out, the wife got one over 2# yesterday.

Headed back next week. Heck with cutting holes in the water. I don't catch many fish but the Gulf of Mexico in late January has to beat an ice shack full of fish.

I've been putting in 12 hour days working on our summer rentals. I'm ready for a sunny nothing to do afternoon.