fishing reports

That's cool!
And they are pretty tasty.

Fished about 25 man hours over the weekend between 3 of us on the Wis river in the Dells. Pitching plastic. 6 keepers, 3 slots and 2 shorts. It was very cold, line, guides and fingers frozen. The water has come up a couple feet but no real sign of numbers of new fish in the system. In the past 25 years I don't recall a season as slow as this one so far. We've had many bad days in the past but not for 6 weeks straight. I did het a tagged fish. Waiting to get the info back on that one.
I've got a couple weeks yet before turkey and tree planting kicks in. Not looking good for any runoff with the temps this week.

With this prolonged cold and all the snow up north the WI River is going to go from crazy low water to open flood gates and ridiculous flow in a matter of days once the weather finally turns.

Got out on the Mississippi in St Paul in the catch and release portion of the river. Weather wasn't to bad, but fishing was slow. I did manage to stick the big mamma 28.5" walleye which made the trip a good one for me.big eye.jpg

Blows my mind that the river is open to harvest year round. It should follow the regular season dates just like inland waters. The Mississippi could be a much better fishery if managed better.

Great walleye Nova!

The fish was tagged on 10\5\17 in Okee bay on Lake Wisconsin by the fish crew out of Poynette. Roughly 30 miles from where I caught it.
That's one heck of a spring migration!

Blows my mind that the river is open to harvest year round. It should follow the regular season dates just like inland waters. The Mississippi could be a much better fishery if managed better.

ONLY portions of the river are open for harvest, most of it north of Hastings is not. The fisheries guys say that there is little or no impact for having it open all year around, but I am with you, it can't be helping. That being said even with the year round open season pool 4 still is a great fishery! I very rarely get down there, it's just as much fun to catch and release them in pool 2 this time of year.

The bass here are pre-spawn biting very good.
The oldest boy hammered them this past weekend, he said at the busiest time he caught ten in under an hour. Biggest was just under 3.5 pounds, and he caught a bonus flathead..it had the neat coloring on it.
WUQkW8T.jpg

JhO3VTY.jpg

X5v2vSl.jpg

lgU3rnw.jpg

bbldGRA.jpg

Video of a fun catch made this weekend after a couple of days wrestling / burning some water oaks (God knows I hate water oaks about as strongly as I love most other oak varieties -- quick to hollow out, die much earlier than other oaks, and always full of tiny small branches that leave scratches about as bad as thorns).

Few nice catches close to dark helped sooth the work wounds! Forgive the southern Austin Powers imitation... just couldn't help myself.

It's amazing how much better it is in slow mo. That was cool. You put it right over the top of him too. good cast. What is that lure, a frog?

It's amazing how much better it is in slow mo. That was cool. You put it right over the top of him too. good cast. What is that lure, a frog?
New topwater swimbait put out by Lunkerhunt they call a prop fish, as the tail rotates with a propeller action.

index.jpg

Handles thick cover well, and prop action is not too aggressive / bit more mild than might be expected. Linked video below does really good job reviewing it.

Spearing suckers in the river today

20180523_150858.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! ^^^^^^ We bowfish here for carp when they are spawning heavy.