First year for groundhog radishes

I just broadcast and walk away. If your plot is thick with other plantings though I'd plant them earlier than you normally wood doing a fall monoculture with tillage. I have quit doing throw and mow into cereals that arent awnless. If you do plant them into an existing winter cereal I would make sure you spray the cereal grain before it matures or you will have nothing but a thick stand of cereals.

Every year they eat the radish and turnips sooner. The first year I didnt get a good stand of them, but the end of August they pretty much wiped them out. Then I planted a little sooner, and scratched the surface a bit, then put in plenty of fertilizer, and it all got 2 feet tall, and decent bulbs, but ever since then, they dont let them grow more then 6 inches, and then come fall, they have it mowed to the ground, including the winter rye. I have 3 3/4 acre food plots. I will need to figure out something different for next year.

The mix we use has Groundhog radishes, purple-top turnips, DER, and Pasja hybrid forage brassica. We buy that mix from Welter's Seed and Honey Co. in Iowa. They call it "Big Buck brassica mix." FWIW.

I plant some of this mix also. I usually mix it with some oats. The deer really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I time my broadcast with a mowing. Last year I broadcast buckwheat, soybeans, and sunflowers around July 1st. At that point my red and white clover had produced seed, so mowing helps broadcast that as well. That timing terminated the rye from the previous winter, along with most broadleaf weeds, and provided plenty of thatch.

Then the last week of August I broadcast rye, radishes, and turnips, mowing as high as possible, but low enough to get enough thatch.

I adjust my seeding rates depending upon how thick the perennials are. I went pretty thin with the summer stuff as my red clover, yellow clover, and alfalfa was almost too thick to get thru.

I should mention that this 1.5 acres contains all of my fruit trees, and the wildflowers are planted in tree rows and do not get mowed.

My camp area is at the border of zones 5 & 6 in NC Pa. If we plant W. Rye around Labor Day, and then the following year we mow it around July 20th to 24th, could we then broadcast turnips, radishes, DER and Pasja forage brassica into the freshly mowed rye stand?? Throw & walk away - or scratch the soil with spring-tooth harrow first??

OR - should we broadcast first ………. then mow so the thatch covers the seed??

All advice is welcome!!

My camp area is at the border of zones 5 & 6 in NC Pa. If we plant W. Rye around Labor Day, and then the following year we mow it around July 20th to 24th, could we then broadcast turnips, radishes, DER and Pasja forage brassica into the freshly mowed rye stand?? Throw & walk away - or scratch the soil with spring-tooth harrow first??

All advice is welcome!!
Depends on how thick the rye is and if you have enough thatch, if you have plenty of thatch I'd broadcast into the rye and then mow it. If it's pretty light you could knock it down with a disc broadcast your brassicas and then roll it with a cuktipcaker or atv/utv tires.

All advice is welcome!!

I wouldn’t do that unless you spray the rye before it produces seed. If you let it mature your brassicas will be smothered out by the rye.

If you mow or roll your rye when it's in the 'milk' stage, it will die and not reseed. That's when it has made seed heads, but has not set the seed yet. When I mow mine around the beginning of July that takes care of it. Don't know if it will make it to the end of July without already producing seed.

I always broadcast first as that should give seed the highest probability of getting good soil contact, and gives you the most thatch covering it, which you need for large seed like radishes.

I have never needed to spray rye to kill it.

I don’t need to spray to kill it either. The problem I have is I don’t plant brassica until early August. When I can get it it’s awnless barley from here on out. That has worked out great for me in the past.

I like getting the free seed so I just roll the Rye after I broadcast the Rape, Turnips and Radishes (around July 15th Zone 3B). I get Rye coming up but the brassicas gets a bit ahead of it. I then throw another 60lbs down in late august so I have a good start next spring.

Like S.T. Fanatic said, we don't plant our brassicas until the first week in August. So maybe we should mow the rye the first few days of July, then disc lightly before we broadcast our brassica seed the first week of August?? Does this sound logical?? Our rye is never "carpet" thick either.

I think that would work just fine.

I agree that will work. I just like having that Rye growing under the snow all winter. The deer will paw through 2' of snow for that stuff here. I know you guys don't get the snow we do.

Chuck

We could still throw some rye down after the turnips and radishes got some size to them couldn't we?? Guys on here said rye will sprout in a sidewalk crack or in the bed of their truck !! If the rye seed touches soil, it ought to sprout, right?? That way if the deer hammer the brassicas, the rye would give them something in winter & very early spring. Is this do-able??

We could still throw some rye down after the turnips and radishes got some size to them couldn't we?? Guys on here said rye will sprout in a sidewalk crack or in the bed of their truck !! If the rye seed touches soil, it ought to sprout, right?? That way if the deer hammer the brassicas, the rye would give them something in winter & very early spring. Is this do-able??
I usually plant my rye around Labor day and I hit any bare spots in my plots with it so I'd say go for it.

Is it reasonable to get radish and the seed from Rural King or TSC? Or should I really find an agricultural supplier?