First time grafting questions

KDdid

5 year old buck +
Oh, Lord, another rabbit hole to disappear down...
I’m hoping to top work some Bradford pears with some scion wood from a friend’s pear trees. I’ve been watching YouTube videos of the process, and been wondering on timing both of collecting scion wood, and doing the actual grafts. I’m at the edge of zones 5-6, so I’ll be getting the cuttings soon and refrigerating them. When should I top the trees that I’m planning to use as rootstock? In advance, or day of? Also I use Titebond 2 wood glue for various projects- would it be adequate for a graft sealant?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wait til day of to cut tree top off
I haven’t used glue but it doesn’t sound like a good idea. You can buy grafting wax for that purpose. Someone on here uses toilet bowl ring wax. I use parafilm to wrap the exposed wood and graft union.

Collect Scion wood soon/now before buds swell.

Most folks recommend waiting until first signs of green to graft but I’m in zone 5/6 and I graft in late March if there are no low temps below ~25 in the 10 day forecast and my success rate is nearly 100% on topworked cleft grafts. Wait until early April if you wanna play it by the books.

Wait until the bradford starts pushing leaves to field graft. Or even after typical last frost dates. Cut when you graft.

Don't use glue. I use toilet bowl wax. Some buy a paint on pruning sealer.

How big are the bradfords? Smaller than an inch, I'd probably cleft graft. Bark graft for larger

I tried titebond before and found it to be very runny. Went back to toilet bowl ring wax. Cheap and works like a charm. I just spread it on with a putty knife.

As NE said, wait until the you are ready to graft to top the tree. And parafilm works great. I use electrical tape wrapped sticky side out to tighten the bark/cambium against the scion. Sticky side out so it won’t tear off the bark when you remove it. Just make sure to remove the electrical tape when it goes dormant or sooner, so it doesn’t girdle the tree.

When cutting scion material, make sure to put it in a ziploc bag and in a cooler until you get it home. And I normally dip the cut ends in wax from a household candle to seal it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, gentlemen. I’ll get the scions in the next week or so. The trees are fairly large, 4” diameter and up. I’m planning on putting multiple grafts on each trunk. As far as the toilet ring wax goes, that’s a good idea. Easy to source and work. I’ll scrape it into a can that I can reseal to keep it clean.

Graft more than you think you need....easier to remove later than not have enough! I am converting an ornamental crab over one branch at a time (mixing varieties) and plan on getting more aggressive since I had moderate success last year. I found tree wound/pruning sealer at a a big box hardware retailer. Good luck!

Do you use toilet bowl wax to cover the entire cut on the donor side? In this case the Bradford pear side.

I still have an apple I want to try.

The problem with glue is that it is runny. If it gets into the crack of cambium between the scion and tree's bark the scion won't be able to heal into the tree.

Do you use toilet bowl wax to cover the entire cut on the donor side? In this case the Bradford pear side.

Yeah, if topworking, I cover the entire cut area on the rootstock with it. Just make sure to put it on after you get the scion in place and tightened up, so you don’t get the wax between the scion and rootstock cambium.

This is an example from a persimmon graft from a couple of years back, you can see the wax on top.

812772625612563fccec3e1149275920.jpg

I do. I melt mine and spoon it over the whole cut. Has worked great so far.

Treekote is easy to put on that is what I use, however I'd suggest you wear gloves cuz unless you are perfect it'll be on your hands for months. :)

Thanks for the info everyone

Treekote is easy to put on that is what I use, however I'd suggest you wear gloves cuz unless you are perfect it'll be on your hands for months. :)
I used treekote for the first time yesterday. I tried to shake the bottle to mix it up. Found out the hard way that the top was not spill proof

I thought I’d circle back to this post since I had some success- these scions flat out took off!
e89582b0a5a4643a6edfcec7c01df182.jpg

I remember Native Hunter mentioning bracing them with a stake strapped to the rootstock, due to wind breaking them at the joint... I probably better do that.

I thought I’d circle back to this post since I had some success- these scions flat out took off!
e89582b0a5a4643a6edfcec7c01df182.jpg

I remember Native Hunter mentioning bracing them with a stake strapped to the rootstock, due to wind breaking them at the joint... I probably better do that.

Looks great!

Yeah, better get it staked off or wind/birds are going to break it off...