First deer back...finally

ksgobbler

5 year old buck +
I got lucky and had this brute walk by the 2nd time I ever sat in a treestand. It was the first buck from our property since we bought it 3 years earlier. That was 2016. It took forever at the first taxidermist who ended up getting divorced and I didnt know if I would ever see it again. Cape was ruined and he kept saying the antlers had abnormal spacing and he couldnt find a cape. Finally got them back and took it to the second gentleman last August and he returned it last week.
Screenshot_20190501-194040_Messages.jpg

Rack is cool/odd/nice! but the spacing seems fine. Sounds like a story.
I’m always kinda hesitant when I take a good one to the taxidermy man. Kinda want a note from his wife and doctor ;)

Glad it turned out well for you.

Looks beautiful! Great mount and worked out I guess! That is a mega buck!

Im a taxidermist (and i'm not defending the guy) but that deer does appear to have have a very wide forehead! It would take some time to find a cape that would be wide enough to fit correctly between the burrs.

In the end, you got a HUGE buck and an AWESOME mount! Congrats!

Neat buck....glad it finally worked out for you.

It was a comedy of errors. I didn’t know much about bow hunting and had never done it before. I decided to try and bought a used Matthews Switchback XT (draw length was too short), arrows, and Rage broadheads. I knew nothing of how to tune a bow, form etc. I practiced and got to a point I was comfortable to 25 yards. My cousin who is a big bow hunter helped me some, and he hung the stand for me I ultimately shot this deer out of. I understand now its a travel corridor. They bed to the south and come off of it to feed. I had a feeder just behind the house and I had gotten pics of this deer days before. No fancy scent blocker I was in my turkey hunting clothes. First time I saw nothing. We were working a refueling outage so its 4 days on, 1 day off and I was working nights. 2nd time I ever sat in the stand he snuck in on me. I knew which buck it was I was drawing on and I had a wicked case of buck fever that caused me to hit a little further back than I wanted. 14 yard shot. I didn’t get pass (and when I found it only 1 blade had opened) and he actually ran pretty close and I could see my arrow hanging out. I called some friends I knew would be headed home from nights and they happened to be driving by my house when I called. Ended up getting on the track to early even though he was loosing tons of blood. Ended up seeing him on his feet walking very slowly so we backed out. Ended up he went a ways after I saw him last and I found what was left of him in the creek 2 days later. I’ve learned

If you found him in water the cape was without a doubt ruined. Heck i'd even be concerned about a deer left over night having hair slip.

Rack is cool/odd/nice! but the spacing seems fine. Sounds like a story.
I’m always kinda hesitant when I take a good one to the taxidermy man. Kinda want a note from his wife and doctor ;)

Glad it turned out well for you.

lol... I've had my taxidermist tell me he was having health problems also. Is that a common delay tactic in the world of taxidermy? That buck looks great love the mass on those antlers.

Great buck and story! You got yours back before I got mine back. My taxidermist lost his brother about 4 months ago. He wasn't answering any calls, Facebook messages, or anything so I had no idea. My buddy scared me, because he thought the taxidermist had died. I showed up one day at his shop. His wife said he started a church. She showed me his shop and he hasn't started any mounts from what I saw. All the racks were still hanging up on the shelf (and hides in the freezer I presume). His wife asked him on the phone to call me the next day. I'm still waiting for that call 2 months later!

Great buck and story! You got yours back before I got mine back. My taxidermist lost his brother about 4 months ago. He wasn't answering any calls, Facebook messages, or anything so I had no idea. My buddy scared me, because he thought the taxidermist had died. I showed up one day at his shop. His wife said he started a church. She showed me his shop and he hasn't started any mounts from what I saw. All the racks were still hanging up on the shelf (and hides in the freezer I presume). His wife asked him on the phone to call me the next day. I'm still waiting for that call 2 months later!

Go get your rack, cape, and demand you're refunded anything you paid him. That cape is only going to last for so long.

Go get your rack, cape, and demand you're refunded anything you paid him. That cape is only going to last for so long.
You're probably right. I gave him a call. He didn't answer, but another guy I know helps him to some degree answered another line. He said I'm about the 4th guy that called him this week (uh that isn't good)! He said he'd tell Danny, the taxidermist, that he needs to start answering his phone (yes that would be great) and calling people back. I'll give him a couple days to call me back and give me an update.

I don't want to be too hard on the guy, because I know he lost his brother and another family member the year before. Supposedly, he's been busy starting a church too. However, there's no excuse for not answering a phone call or returning one! I'll definitely be taking future work elsewhere.