All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First day deer

Jeff23

5 year old buck +
I sat out the morning (first time I have ever chosen not to hunt the first morning of archery), but went to an area that has proven to produce good numbers of deer sightings on evening hunts. I decided last minute to sit a different tree than usual due to wind direction. Long story short: center punched a nice doe at about 6:20 (4th deer I saw) and by the time I climbed down at dark, I had seen 17 or 18 deer (including 3 bucks), two of which were sparring about 10 yards from my tree. It's a great day to be alive!
A side note: I have always been stubborn about not attaching my HSS to the tree while climbing, but decided that I need to suck it up and do it right. It only takes an extra couple minutes. If you are stubborn like me- just suck it up and do it! I have heard too many stories, and want to be around for a while longer. Be safe- saving a minute or two isn't worth it!

Congrats on your doe. We all slip at time on safety, the older I get the more I use my safety eq. I just don't bounce like I use to.

Congrats on the doe! Great reminder on the hooking up while climbing, a couple years ago I added saftey lines to all my stands and like you said it only takes a minute, now it's almost second nature.

Last edited: