All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FINALLY!!!

bbcoach

5 year old buck +
After 20 inches of rain since the 4th of July, we FINALLY had enough dry weather (about 10 days worth) for the standing water and the top of the ground to dry enough to allow us to get our 2 Brassica plots planted. One plot was still semi moist but after discing and running the cultipacker over it, she came around. The other has been getting complete sun for the last 10 days so the disc sliced though it really well with no clumps. We added a mix of PTT, DER, T raptor rape and Daikon Radishes. We have the seed in the ground, now it's up to Mother Nature to give us some timely rain (not 5 or 10 more inches at once). We have about 70 days before our first frost (November 10th) so we should have a couple of nice plots of brassicas. As I told my hunting partner today, We have done our part now it's in God's Hands.

Sure in the same camp as you, bbcoach, on needing things to dry out.

Kind of odd seeing so many on the forum frustrated (and understandably so) by drought conditions when I've been waterlogged since Tropical Storm Alberto rolled through our neck of the woods in late May. We've averaged right at 8" of rain each month since, and with the rains so darn regular / steady that we're yet to dry out.

Trying to get a Morton building finished at my place and it's been 2/3rds done since MAY, but with the crews frustratingly grounded as it needs to dry out to be able to access the building to finish.

HAPPY for you that you got the dry spell... we still don't see any relief in sight down our way.

Yeah the guys in the Upper Midwest have been extremely dry. My hunting partners brother lives in Millston, WI and until the last week to ten days they have been dry. Farmlogs has the Millston farm at about 26 inches for the year and his brothers Eastern NC food plots have gotten 50 inches. Feast or famine, NO in between. Hope we can get about an inch a week for the next couple of months and we'll have some food for the deer and turkeys. I understand PA is getting hammered as well. We still have 2 plots of durana clover to get in and several grain plots.

You just can’t control the weather. We couldn’t get a good rain all summer here and you guys have been literally swamped. I guess we just do the best we can with the cards eve been dealt. Glad you were able to get a break.